**Utah State vs. Iowa Basketball Thread - 12/18/21 - 8:00pm - BTN**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Iowa is #30 in KenPom with the #4 offense and #119 defense.

Utah State is #56 in KenPom with the #66 offense and #67 defense.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Hawk Central has an article by Lestikow stating the guards have to step up to fix the rebounding issue. yeah, it's the guards fault. Clearly.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
The best rebounding teams have guards who get after boards. Especially teams which allow as many perimeter looks as we do. Lots of long misses.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
The best rebounding teams have guards who get after boards. Especially teams which allow as many perimeter looks as we do. Lots of long misses.
there's something to it. good rebounding teams generally have starting forwards averaging more than 2.8 per game as well.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Pat is a bad rebounder but the Murrays and Rebraca are okay. The guards aren't very good, at least compared to some previous Iowa players. bohannon and Touissant are both below their career averages this year. And as good as Perkins has been in some other areas he's not been a great rebounder.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Pat is a bad rebounder but the Murrays and Rebraca are okay. The guards aren't very good, at least compared to some previous Iowa players. bohannon and Touissant are both below their career averages this year. And as good as Perkins has been in some other areas he's not been a great rebounder.
Fran is a good coach, but this is an area where strategy and culture really matter, and he clearly isn’t teaching guards to rebound.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Iowa by 5. I still don't get this shit about playing in barren South Dakota but whatever.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Lookr getting pwnd lol

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Fran said in his presser that because teams shoot so many more 3s more rebounds are long so it’s more effort in going after the ball than it is boxing out.

Reaction score
Ulis is a plus rebounder. He needs to 0lay more.

Kris and keegan should both be playing 35 minutes in non-blowouts. pmac picks up the scrap 10 minutes at the two forwards positions. Play ogundele as your 9th man spelling rebraca. 8 minutes a game. Bring him in from 12-8 minutes each half.

Our backup guards are more complimentary, if not outright better, than the current starters and should be getting 30 to the starters' 10 mpg. Or as close to that as possible.

Sneak in the tall white guy shooter if theres foul trouble or injury. I have seen virtually every game for the last 20 years but i literally cannot remember his name.

Connor shouldnt see the court. We will have to make do without his 'settling down' the team as we get outrebounded by 30. He should have worked on his shot instead of his swing. Or vice versa.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Ulis is a plus rebounder. He needs to 0lay more.

Kris and keegan should both be playing 35 minutes in non-blowouts. pmac picks up the scrap 10 minutes at the two forwards positions. Play ogundele as your 9th man spelling rebraca. 8 minutes a game. Bring him in from 12-8 minutes each half.

Our backup guards are more complimentary, if not outright better, than the current starters and should be getting 30 to the starters' 10 mpg. Or as close to that as possible.

Sneak in the tall white guy shooter if theres foul trouble or injury. I have seen virtually every game for the last 20 years but i literally cannot remember his name.

Connor shouldnt see the court. We will have to make do without his 'settling down' the team as we get outrebounded by 30. He should have worked on his shot instead of his swing. Or vice versa.
K

nikolausp

Paid His Bills
Reaction score
Utah St.'s best player Justin Bean is Game Time Decision after leaving last game with ankle injury. Leads the team in points and rebounds per game (19.6pts , 11.1reb)

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Pretty important game for Iowa's tournament chances. Iowa is currently 0-3 vs quad 1 teams- Virginia is at 97 Net, fwiw.

Iowa's non-con schedule sits at 348, can't drop two games.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Thanks, Jon. Good to know that someone is starting with an undisclosed injury.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Watching the Hawks play bball like its supposed to be done, to end the 1st half and through most of the rest of the game - especially after the disaster that was the ISU shitshow - vs a decent opponent @ a 'neutral' site, has me....

Reaction score
Fun game. Keegan is a stud and Kris played great. Rebraca struggled defensively at times but had some good moments. bohannon and Patrick had their moments. Perkins didn't score much but played well otherwise. Ulis had some uncharateristic turnovers but I love that kid.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Good response after Utah St made some shots and took advantages of some lapses defensively in the first.

Hopefully Kris and Ulis keep getting more minutes. Kris just does so many things this team needs from outside shooting to being able to guard every position to creating to his own shot. Not really sure how or why you keep him off the court.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Good game, much better 2nd half defensive effort.

Why is Connor playing? Please stop playing him. He's terrible and getting worse.
I feel the same way about Rebecca but to a lesser degree. I don’t see much in him as a defender or scorer. He’s ok when matched upwith equally sized guys but I just don’t see what he brings. If they played Connor at the 6 over him, I’m not sure I’d notice a difference

I’d rather seem sugar tits get a few more minutes as a bigger defensive/rebounding presence. Neither are great defenders I guess but at least sugar tits has somewhat size

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I feel the same way about Rebecca but to a lesser degree. I don’t see much in him as a defender or scorer. He’s ok when matched upwith equally sized guys but I just don’t see what he brings. If they played Connor at the 6 over him, I’m not sure I’d notice a difference

I’d rather seem sugar tits get a few more minutes as a bigger defensive/rebounding presence. Neither are great defenders I guess but at least sugar tits has somewhat size
I disagree on this. He has times where he isn't that good, but he shoots 60% from the field, doesn't force shots, moves the ball, gets 6+ rebounds per game in 20 minutes per game and doesn't turn the ball over much. He is nothing like Connor.

He's valuable and belongs on the court. Don't focus too much how it goes when he gets matched up with huge guys.