**Official Iowa vs. Ohio State Football Thread - 11:00am - FOX - INCOMING RAPE ROOM ALERT**

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
So the latest rumor of sorts is that Brian gets to hang around because Kirk is unwilling to make him go it alone with the current lawsuits

I will admit I have absolutely no clue how that looks, but it comes from a pretty connected source.
I’m not sure this makes any sense. It’s not like he’d have to secure and pay for separate counsel if he were relieved of his current coaching duties.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Plus, unless the source is Mary, who the fuck would Kirk tell that to?

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Right, and the lesson of this isn't so much that you HAVE to fire Kirk, but he has to be willing to change. If he is willing to change this offseason, they can very quickly get better. It will include hitting the portal and changing their scheme a ton, but it can be done.

With that said, not sure if he can do it at nearly 70 years old. I would love for him to do it, but also the only way for it to happen is that Brian has to go no matter what. He's done at Iowa.
I believe I was told that the offense was being fixed this past off-season.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
So the latest rumor of sorts is that Brian gets to hang around because Kirk is unwilling to make him go it alone with the current lawsuits

I will admit I have absolutely no clue how that looks, but it comes from a pretty connected source.
None of these rumors from “connected sources” are ever correct. Ever.

Reactions: BBK

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I’m not sure this makes any sense. It’s not like he’d have to secure and pay for separate counsel if he were relieved of his current coaching duties.
again, not an attorney and admittedly have no idea how this shit works.

But the source of that comment made me at least want to ask about it

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
He will not change. Even if he says he will, and even if maybe he thinks that he will, he won’t.

So the options are to fire Kirk, or keep doing what we are currently doing.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
I think Brian even made some comments about if the completion percentage was that bad again he’d likely be out of a job. Maybe not in so many words but it was said in that throwaway “no way this happens” type of way.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I think Brian even made some comments about if the completion percentage was that bad again he’d likely be out of a job. Maybe not in so many words but it was said in that throwaway “no way this happens” type of way.
He was very clear in that long interview he understood what he’s doing to his daddy’s legacy, and that he doesn’t want to be an anchor around his neck.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Bang on. And the fact that they don't even bother to pay lip service to it tells you two things, 1. Camp Kinnick has become so incredibly insular that they aren't even aware of what the public needs to be told in order to save a modicum of face. They clearly don't think about what goes out to the public at all, especially because they have survived (let's admit it) more than their share of scandal with no more than a sacrificial lamb or two. Public opinion is irrelevant to them. and 2. They are not aware that nepotism is a bad thing. Like, no one has ever sat down with them and explained to them why it is unethical and why it is bad for a workplace. It is farcical to think that UI athletics has a competent Director when they can't even get out in front of HR 101. We're talking fucking nepotism. Not some clerical oversight like late payroll. Nepotism. "Yep, we do it. Come at me or whatever."
lol, you guys have lost it.

Kirk picked his OC. He was right about one thing yesterday. It doesn’t matter who it is. Enforcement of any nepotism law (the spirit of which shouldn’t apply here anyways because the HC and AD positions are privately endowed) would not change a thing.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
lol, you guys have lost it.

Kirk picked his OC. He was right about one thing yesterday. It doesn’t matter who it is. Enforcement of any nepotism law (the spirit of which shouldn’t apply here anyways because the HC and AD positions are privately endowed) would not change a thing.
This could not possibly be more wrong.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
This could not possibly be more wrong.
i would like to see ANY hint of evidence that makes you think Kirk would change his OC midseason.

it’s not happening.

you can’t bitch about the “taxpayer funds!” stuff and then reference iowa code when you don’t like the OC.

Gushawk

Reaction score
i would like to see ANY hint of evidence that makes you think Kirk would change his OC midseason.

it’s not happening.

you can’t bitch about the “taxpayer funds!” stuff and then reference iowa code when you don’t like the OC.
the issue is not change mid season. the issue is that he never should have been hired as OC, and putting that aside never should have been given carte blanche after last season to produce this disaster, and putting that aside should not be allowed to continue after the season under any circumstances whatsoever given his track record of results. this would not be tolerated at any other institution, and it’s an absolutely awful way in which to be recognized as unique.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
the issue is not change mid season. the issue is that he never should have been hired as OC, and putting that aside never should have been given carte blanche after last season to produce this disaster, and putting that aside should not be allowed to continue after the season under any circumstances whatsoever given his track record of results. this would not be tolerated at any other institution, and it’s an absolutely awful way in which to be recognized as unique.
lol, ok. Easy to say in hindsight.

Gushawk

Reaction score
it’s relevant in him getting hired. That’s it.
it’s also relevant to his retention and the length of the leash he was given after last season given his already miserable results. lol at making him QB coach and not putting someone else in charge of the passing game. that happens at no other P5 school.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
The signs were there every year under Brian at the OC helm, particularly last year despite the record. Going from bad to DFL this year may have something to do with O'Keefe being at least a stabilizing influence. As MH said, Ken was always a lighting bolt for fans too, but maybe just maybe he wasn't half bad at trying to walk the line of what Kirk wanted done and actually achieving some level of success on offense.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
Does anyone have the passing charts for this game (ISSD)? I don’t remember throwing down field much if at all. Play action seemed to be almost nonexistent as well. I don’t understand how an OC can expect to keep a defense honest and help out the run game without either.

HiG 2.0

DolphinAngerHawk
Reaction score
1. Fire Barta
2. Hire an AD to fire Kirk and Brian.
3. Build a statue of Kirk and make his firing look like a retirement but give him the buyout.
4. Hire a head coach who is an offensive guru. Let him hire his own staff but strongly encourage him to keep the defensive and special teams staff.
5. Profit.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Staples watches as much CFB as anyone and called Iowas offense the worst he’s ever seen.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Does anyone have the passing charts for this game (ISSD)? I don’t remember throwing down field much if at all. Play action seemed to be almost nonexistent as well. I don’t understand how an OC can expect to keep a defense honest and help out the run game without either.
I’m sure someone does. Lol…love that it gets preempted. I’ve not seen them yet, but that one Twitter guy does it, Thad something?

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
The signs were there every year under Brian at the OC helm, particularly last year despite the record. Going from bad to DFL this year may have something to do with O'Keefe being at least a stabilizing influence. As MH said, Ken was always a lighting bolt for fans too, but maybe just maybe he wasn't half bad at trying to walk the line of what Kirk wanted done and actually achieving some level of success on offense.
That’s lightning rod, Biff.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
There were questions after week 1 about the offense and KF would do his snort and laugh at the conceived overreaction.

he just comes off as a completely clueless dumbfuck at times

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
but Kirk’s serious this time. Sure, he’s never made a single meaningful change in 20 plus years but this time is different. We owe him that much because he does things the right way and seems like such a neat guy.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
but Kirk’s serious this time. Sure, he’s never made a single meaningful change in 20 plus years but this time is different. We owe him that much because he does things the right way and seems like such a neat guy.
Fuck off. He's made changes.

People have lost their fucking mind.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Again, the fucking disrespect here is absurd. You can hate what is going on this year, but holy fuck there is zero reason to shit on his tenure and act like he hasn't done shit. He's been a wonderful coach, man and representative of the University of Iowa. #5 at putting players in the NFL and a ton of 10 win and Top 10 seasons.

Fuck off with your bullshit.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Kirk has been buried and came back from the dead 3-4 times.

I'd love to see it one more time.

He's changed a lot over the years. He's clearly incorporated 4th down and field position probability math in recent years which used to drive all of us crazy.

He needs to get comfortable with the transfer portal. There would be little complaints about scheme and predictability if we had brought in one of any number of grad transfer QBs which are working our at various P5 teams.

Simple fix.

Skinny Skier

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Again, the fucking disrespect here is absurd. You can hate what is going on this year, but holy fuck there is zero reason to shit on his tenure and act like he hasn't done shit. He's been a wonderful coach, man and representative of the University of Iowa. #5 at putting players in the NFL and a ton of 10 win and Top 10 seasons.

Don’t disagree with much here, but he is still living off of the dramatic turnaround early in his tenure. From the 1-10 season to Big Ten champs and three straight Top 10 finishes ending in 2004, he’s made a lot from that.

I know this is projecting, but if this year and next year don’t finish in the Top 10, it will be two Top 10 finishes over the past twenty years with two division champs but no Big 10 championships in two decades. Also, if we do not finish ranked this year or next (we might next year), it would be finishing ranked 7 out of 20 years. I bet people think the program should generally be at a higher rate than that.

He’s been solid the last few years, but it suffers from a what could have been mentality that diminishes the results there. I think people are just sort of tired with the program as it feels just pretty meh. You know they’ll probably be pretty good (this year being the exception) but not where you think they can go on a run.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
time frames are a bit funny.

btw - in the past 19 years (since we are stopping just after iowas last co champ season), we have 5 champs now that Michigan won it last year. 4 from the west:

OSU: 8 wins, 2 splits
MSU: 2 wins, 1 split (last in 2013)
Wisconsin: 2 wins, 1 split (last in 2012)
PSU: 1 win, 2 splits (last in 2016)
Michigan: 1 win last year

The reality is, the East is way better than the west. And osu is way better than the field.

Iowa is underperforming by a wide margin this year and should have been even better record wise the two years before. But any iowa fan hoping for more of a shot at the big ten championship than we’ve had in the last ten years is going to be disappointed. One winnable chance and another long shot every ten years is actually not bad given the division/championship setup with only one champ. And it’s going to get worse when usc and ucla join

Gushawk

Reaction score
Kirk has been buried and came back from the dead 3-4 times.

I'd love to see it one more time.

He's changed a lot over the years. He's clearly incorporated 4th down and field position probability math in recent years which used to drive all of us crazy.

He needs to get comfortable with the transfer portal. There would be little complaints about scheme and predictability if we had brought in one of any number of grad transfer QBs which are working our at various P5 teams.

Simple fix.
at this point, I think that the offense and its coordinator need to change to attract anything decent at QB or WR in the portal. if they don’t, it will remain a net talent drag on that side of the ball, even if Kirk embraces. no one with P5 options will choose to come to look bad/never get the ball.

Last edited:

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
at this point, I think that the offense and it’s coordinator need to change to attract anything decent at QB or WR in the portal. if they don’t, it will remain a net talent drag on that side of the ball, even if Kirk embraces. no one with P5 options will choose to come to look bad/never get the ball.
Send a long, thoughtful, emotional letter to Gary and Kirk. I'm sure they'll listen and care deeply

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score

First of all, take a deep breath. Are you completely incapable of disagreeing with someone without being an insufferable twat? I'm not shitting on his tenure nor suggesting that he hasn't done shit. Nice straw man. But his coaching blemishes are the same now as they were a decade ago. His clock management continues to be an abomination. Case in point - continuing to huddle up with time winding down when trailing late in the 4th. You yourself were apoplectic but in typical Doug fashion, you're now trying to play the learned, calm, non-IowaFan.

He has continued to botch recruiting the most important position on the field and you said yourself that he needed to be threatened by a country music writer to play CJ. So personnel decisions from as far back as Brad Banks have continued all the way through the first half of the OSU game. His offense has marginally changed over the years but they're still playing their greatest hits. Personnel changes? It took him ages to 'retire' KOK and his answer was another yes man, Greg Davis, which led us to...the ultimate yes man, Brian. Continuity is great and all but it needs to evolve. He's never hired anyone who was given license to modernize Iowa's offense or at least play to a team's given strength.

Most people have finally come around to the idea that the problem lies with Kirk and not KOK or Davis. Brian, I fear, is just a dumber version of those two so while he may be hamstrung by Kirk's offense, he's not smart enough to squeeze even mediocre productivity out of it.

As for the wonderful man part - I don't know nor do I really care. He's a football coach. I don't expect him to be a saint. But there's been enough shit over the years to conclude that there's more edge to ole Kirk than some gum-chewing, aw shucks, swell guy. And it's not like he's been doing pro bono work over the years. Build him a statue and thank him for his service. But the program is stale and needs a re-boot.