Mike Stoops

PipeDaddy

Nanny State Leach Enabler
Reaction score
I've said it before...I'm not even convinced in the defense as primary scapegoat theory. The staleness that afflicts the program is just as bad on the other side of the ball.
I agree. And I would take it a step further.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I'm willing to bet that KF micromanages like a MFer. I've seen folks say that KOK used to run a wide open attack and that Norm used to run a more aggressive style of defense.

It is quite possible that no matter who we bring in at whatever position that nothing will change. Because when it comes down to it, that staleness really emanates from the ultraconservative nature of KF and his absolute refusal to ever acknowledge that it may be wrong some of the time.
So you think KOK would stay on the staff for 13 years, taking all the shit he takes from fans, just so he can be micromanaged? That seems pretty ridiculous. I would speculate the exact opposite. It actually wouldn't surprise me that if there is an offensive or defensive decision to be made 99% of them are made by coaches not named Ferentz. Why the hell would people stay if they weren't given freedom to do their jobs?
First of all, I'm not saying KF calls the plays. But he almost certainly influences (either directly or indirectly) the play calling.

And second, a lot of people continue to work in situations where they are micromanaged and not given the freedom to do their jobs.

As I said - it's pure speculation on my part. If it is KOK that is responsible for the conservative play calling and idiotic game management the past few years, then he can GFH.

Eastside Ray Ray

Cleans his ass with toilet water
Reaction score
Nebrantska is promoting Papuchi from within to DC.

Stoops still on the board.

At this point I'm ready to write off any coaching changes by Iowa. If nothing happens by the end of this week, nothing will change this offseason.

Hawk4Life25

LIAR and SCUMBAG
Reaction score
Stoops is now balking at the idea of Co-DC at OSU.....still in play?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
i always thought that iowa should have made phil parker co-DC a couple years ago, but it has to be a little insulting to a guy like Stoops i would think.

Hawk4Life25

LIAR and SCUMBAG
Reaction score
It was on twitter last night, A&M might be interested in him as DC.....

Reaction score
From Austin-Statesman writer:

"I would think that with the impending switch to the SEC, A&M would want a defensive coach — like Louisville's Charlie Strong — or a proven offensive head coach like Dan Mullen or Steve Sarkisian, along with a top-flight defensive coordinator. Sumlin paired with former Arizona head coach Mike Stoops would make sense, although Stoops is also considering DC jobs with Ohio State (co-DC with Luke Fickell), Iowa and Nebrantska."

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
so is he considering the Iowa job?

Reaction score
From Austin-Statesman writer:

"I would think that with the impending switch to the SEC, A&M would want a defensive coach — like Louisville's Charlie Strong — or a proven offensive head coach like Dan Mullen or Steve Sarkisian, along with a top-flight defensive coordinator. Sumlin paired with former Arizona head coach Mike Stoops would make sense, although Stoops is also considering DC jobs with Ohio State (co-DC with Luke Fickell), Iowa and Nebrantska."
Iowa?

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Quit getting your hopes up dammit. This shit is not happening.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
I wish someone would hire this bastard so I can quit getting my hopes up.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
I wish someone would hire this bastard so I can quit getting my hopes up.
Are you saying we'd be better off without Norm?
Uh, yes. I've been saying for weeks that as good as Norm has been for Iowa, his health is limiting his abilities. I've literally posted this sentiment dozens of times.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Mike Stoops is up for every single job in the country right now.

SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS
If I had to guess at this moment where Mike Stoops lands, from what Im hearing right now, Id say Nebrantska.
DanWolken Dan Wolken
With Freeze out of the mix, will be interesting to see where Memphis turns. I've heard Mike Stoops wants the job.
kbohls kbohls
A&M still strongly considering Sumlin, possibly with Mike Stoops as DC. Stoops uncertain about co-DC spot at Ohio State with Luke Fickell.
ChuckCarltonDMN Chuck Carlton
MT @DaveSittler: Others may want him, but MIke Stoops prefers OU return. Big brother Bob has a compelling Bedlam reason to make that happen.
PDBuckeyes Doug Lesmerises
And let me be last to the table on this, yes, former Arizona coach and Oklahoma assistant Mike Stoops very likely to end up here

douglasbader

Reaction score
Looks like he will be the Co-Defensive Coordinator at Ohio State, the Defensive Coordinator at Nebrantska, Iowa, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma and the Head Coach at Memphis.

Sorry, he isn't worth this much attention and the eventual nearly $1 million someone will offer him. He and his agent are doing a fantastic job getting his salary up.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Looks like he will be the Co-Defensive Coordinator at Ohio State, the Defensive Coordinator at Nebrantska, Iowa, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma and the Head Coach at Memphis.

Sorry, he isn't worth this much attention and the eventual nearly $1 million someone will offer him. He and his agent are doing a fantastic job getting his salary up.
+1000.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I will also say that his impact at a program like Nebrantska, Ohio State or Texas A&M isn't nearly what it would be at Iowa. Those schools already have a huge built in recruiting advantage and players are going to go there regardless. At Iowa, he actually makes an impact from getting mostly 2*,3* and a few 4* to getting mostly 3* and many more 4* players.

There are only 2 reasons to want Mike Stoops, he is a decent Defensive Coordinator who would bring something different to the table and you would get a bump in recruiting at Iowa.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
I will also say that his impact at a program like Nebrantska, Ohio State or Texas A&M isn't nearly what it would be at Iowa. Those schools already have a huge built in recruiting advantage and players are going to go there regardless. At Iowa, he actually makes an impact from getting mostly 2*,3* and a few 4* to getting mostly 3* and many more 4* players.

There are only 2 reasons to want Mike Stoops, he is a decent Defensive Coordinator who would bring something different to the table and you would get a bump in recruiting at Iowa.
Bob's defense went to hell after Mike left for Arizona.

PipeDaddy

Nanny State Leach Enabler
Reaction score

lol

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I agree. And I would take it a step further.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I'm willing to bet that KF micromanages like a MFer. I've seen folks say that KOK used to run a wide open attack and that Norm used to run a more aggressive style of defense.

It is quite possible that no matter who we bring in at whatever position that nothing will change. Because when it comes down to it, that staleness really emanates from the ultraconservative nature of KF and his absolute refusal to ever acknowledge that it may be wrong some of the time.
So you think KOK would stay on the staff for 13 years, taking all the shit he takes from fans, just so he can be micromanaged? That seems pretty ridiculous. I would speculate the exact opposite. It actually wouldn't surprise me that if there is an offensive or defensive decision to be made 99% of them are made by coaches not named Ferentz. Why the hell would people stay if they weren't given freedom to do their jobs?
First of all, I'm not saying KF calls the plays. But he almost certainly influences (either directly or indirectly) the play calling.

And second, a lot of people continue to work in situations where they are micromanaged and not given the freedom to do their jobs.

As I said - it's pure speculation on my part. If it is KOK that is responsible for the conservative play calling and idiotic game management the past few years, then he can GFH.

Then I would bet that you think KOK can GFH

douglasbader

Reaction score
Granny is holding out on us.

Granny36 on TOS said:
How many times does it need to be stated that Mike Stoops has burned all bridges leading to Iowa City?
Granny is close enough to the program, or has been, to know. But I wonder if he's too close.
I asked someone who would know what he thought of the Mike Stoops rumor when it initially broke and he said the same exact thing that all bridges had been burnt.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Granny is holding out on us.
Granny is close enough to the program, or has been, to know. But I wonder if he's too close.
I asked someone who would know what he thought of the Mike Stoops rumor when it initially broke and he said the same exact thing that all bridges had been burnt.
Negative recruiting or maybe talking shit about how Iowa fucked up during the whole hiring process of KF?

(throwing shit out there)

MickerHawk

Drives a 22R
Reaction score
Negative recruiting or maybe talking shit about how Iowa fucked up during the whole hiring process of KF?

(throwing shit out there)
exactly.

If the bridges have been burned, we need to get rid of the trolls and rebuild some bridges.

douglasbader

Reaction score
No, I think it was from when he last coached at Iowa. Might even have something to do with being a scab during the NFL Strike which didn't sit well with other players from Iowa and I think Stoops told them to go fuck themselves.

drbutkus

A little saying
Reaction score
Getting fired appears to have been a good career move for Stoops. When I got fired, my wife's favorite joke was "What's the difference between her husband and a 220 pound tuna? Nothing.....they both got canned."

douglasbader

Reaction score
It has been a week since Urban Meyer was announced as Coach. He knew he was taking the job at least a few weeks before.

Stoops confirmed a meeting with him a few days ago. I think that if he was going to be at Ohio State, he would have taken it already.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I wonder if the market is cooling off for Stoops if he is saying things like that now. Perhaps he has zero offers.

Reaction score
I doubt it would have to do with being a scab player.

Hell, Sean Payton was a scab player and he coaches the Saints.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
I wonder if the market is cooling off for Stoops if he is saying things like that now. Perhaps he has zero offers.
or perhaps he is trying to leverage existing offer(s), but that could have a negative kickback if he is not careful.

douglasbader

Reaction score
or perhaps he is trying to leverage existing offer(s), but that could have a negative kickback if he is not careful.
I think the market could possibly be much colder than thought for him. You are going on 9 days since Meyer was hired and at least a week since they met face to face. You would think this would have been done already.

It seems odd that all of a sudden he would come out and openly campaign for an offer from Nebrantska, especially when Pelini is a good friend. You would think that could be handled by a simple phone call between people who know each other.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I think the market could possibly be much colder than thought for him. You are going on 9 days since Meyer was hired and at least a week since they met face to face. You would think this would have been done already.

It seems odd that all of a sudden he would come out and openly campaign for an offer from Nebrantska, especially when Pelini is a good friend. You would think that could be handled by a simple phone call between people who know each other.
Unless, of course, Nebrantska has to go through the same stupid hiring procedures that Iowa does.

Reaction score

Unless, of course, Nebrantska has to go through the same stupid hiring procedures that Iowa does.
Or, as some of you guys mentioned earlier - he may have a job, but it doesn't make sense for an announcement until after the bowl game for the school that hired him.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
If he has a job why not announce it? Nebrantska job is clearly open. Urban is expected to fill his own staff and already said Fickel will remain on (assume at DC or co-DC)

If he is taking the Iowa job, I would like to see Iowa announce Norm's departure so people can wish him farewell or whatever and announcing Stoops would generate alot of buzz at a time recruits are finalizing choices.

Is this a dead period in recruiting? If not, why not have Stoops on the road recruiting?

douglasbader

Reaction score
If Stoops had a job, they would want him announced right now. These are 2 of the most important weekends of recruiting in the entire year.

douglasbader

Reaction score
RSuchomel Ryan Suchomel
Steve Ferentz doesn't have the resume his older brothers did. Seems like a late-bloomer. Pedigree is there. Will probably end up with Hawks.

Ferentz is going to be here at least another 5 years.

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
RSuchomel Ryan Suchomel
Steve Ferentz doesn't have the resume his older brothers did. Seems like a late-bloomer. Pedigree is there. Will probably end up with Hawks.

Ferentz is going to be here at least another 5 years.
I honestly don't think his kids have ever been a factor in his being in Iowa City. I do look forward to the next five years of that being brought up, though. It'll be weird for the next several years, though, after that when KF is still coaching the Hawks not hearing it.

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score
nm

Last edited: