Live blog from Everson trial

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
anyways, i am starting to think that Spies got schooled by Lahey. the ruling made this morning basically says in iowa, when you are charged with something, all of the lesser degrees of the same charge are automatically included. it seems to me that Spies would have been better off not motioning for direct acquittal and leaving the 2nd degree charge in place. the proof of second degree abuse (aiding and abetting) was NOT there and he likely would have been acquitted of that charge.

now, i am not sure if the jury could/would have convicted him of 3rd degree before the motion for directed verdict or not. i am interested attorneys' opinions.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
anyways, i am starting to think that Spies got schooled by Lahey. the ruling made this morning basically says in iowa, when you are charged with something, all of the lesser degrees of the same charge are automatically included. it seems to me that Spies would have been better off not motioning for direct acquittal and leaving the 2nd degree charge in place. the proof of second degree abuse (aiding and abetting) was NOT there and he likely would have been acquitted of that charge.

now, i am not sure if the jury could/would have convicted him of 3rd degree before the motion for directed verdict or not. i am interested attorneys' opinions.

JD720

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
they are wrapping up closing arguments. i think he is gonna walk.
I'm glad I'm not a juror in this one. I think he is guilty, but there is some doubt. I'm not sure I'd call it reasonable doubt.

JD720

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not a juror in this one. I think he is guilty, but there is some doubt. I'm not sure I'd call it reasonable doubt.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
i agree completely. the big thing that stands out for me is how Everson was never accused by the alleged victim or even named in her report, but they found his DNA inside of her.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
i agree completely. the big thing that stands out for me is how Everson was never accused by the alleged victim or even named in her report, but they found his DNA inside of her.

Reaction score
it seems to me that Spies would have been better off not motioning for direct acquittal and leaving the 2nd degree charge in place. the proof of second degree abuse (aiding and abetting) was NOT there and he likely would have been acquitted of that charge.

That would be a very high stakes strategic gamble given the differences in sentencing. I imagine there was quite a long talk between lawyer and client on that decision.

Reaction score
it seems to me that Spies would have been better off not motioning for direct acquittal and leaving the 2nd degree charge in place. the proof of second degree abuse (aiding and abetting) was NOT there and he likely would have been acquitted of that charge.

That would be a very high stakes strategic gamble given the differences in sentencing. I imagine there was quite a long talk between lawyer and client on that decision.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
after researching it further today, i think the jury could have convicted him of 3rd degree assault even without the motion for a directed verdict. I thought Everson was overcharged from the beginning, considering that Satterfield got a plea, but now I understand why.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
after researching it further today, i think the jury could have convicted him of 3rd degree assault even without the motion for a directed verdict. I thought Everson was overcharged from the beginning, considering that Satterfield got a plea, but now I understand why.

brantshawks

Nebrantska Fan
Reaction score
With teeth like that, no wonder he waited until she was passed out.

brantshawks

Nebrantska Fan
Reaction score
With teeth like that, no wonder he waited until she was passed out.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
No. The verdict is in and super secret.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
No. The verdict is in and super secret.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
"Free Carl Lee!! Free Carl Lee!!"