2013 Football Recruiting Thread

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
I've generally been uninterested in recruiting during the Ferentz years since it seemed as if our coaching staff was perhaps the best in the country at identifying and developing talent outside of the normal national recruiting circus.

But now it appears that we've just become normal bottom feeders--you're not seeing the almost completely off the radar guys getting picked up--instead we're going in at the last minute and picking off recruits from lower tier conferences (or even fucking UNI) in helter skelter fashion.

The program is in meltdown mode. Please someone tell me I'm wrong. Mediocrity and probably worse at this point rules this program.
I think you nailed it. It may be slightly worse than what you're saying though.
:neutral:

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I've generally been uninterested in recruiting during the Ferentz years since it seemed as if our coaching staff was perhaps the best in the country at identifying and developing talent outside of the normal national recruiting circus.

But now it appears that we've just become normal bottom feeders--you're not seeing the almost completely off the radar guys getting picked up--instead we're going in at the last minute and picking off recruits from lower tier conferences (or even fucking UNI) in helter skelter fashion.

The program is in meltdown mode. Please someone tell me I'm wrong. Mediocrity and probably worse at this point rules this program.
If that doesn't get you feeling better nothing anyone else could say possibly will.

Shawneemicks

Reaction score

If that doesn't get you feeling better nothing anyone else could say possibly will.
:)

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
Another public service announcement...
Alabama, after today, sits at 97 scholarship fball players.
Let the culling begin.

opiate of the masses

Not Executive Material
Reaction score
this is an increbibly good class relative to the disaster we had on the field last year.

if you go back on look at the 08 and 09 classes, it's hard to believe how they could have been that bad. they were bad at the time -- ie in the rankings -- and they even managed to underperform relative to those pathetic rankings.

this class appears to be very solid, if we can keep the kids on campus and healthy

Reaction score
it looks worse because we lost our only two 4 stars, but there wasnt much we could do about that.
When one of them was essentially your only option at arguably your biggest need position, I would tend to disagree with the statement that "there wasn't much we could do about that." Not sexy. Just execution. Ebbs and flows. Certainly. Ah fuck me..............

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
Ouch

Dan Wetzel ‏@DanWetzel
How strong is SEC recruiting? Kentucky is 13 out of 14 in SEC per rivals. Would be fourth in Big Ten: http://yhoo.it/11oLjKd

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
if you are depressed because you doubt our staffs ability to land top talent, shouldnt the fact that we already have two four star kids with fantastic offers committed for next year alleviate that a bit?
Moreso if they didn't happen to be from Iowa. We aint' makin' a living as a program just batting 75%+ with Iowa 4 star talent and very rarely landing it from elsewhere, IMO.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
if you are depressed because you doubt our staffs ability to land top talent, shouldnt the fact that we already have two four star kids with fantastic offers committed for next year alleviate that a bit?
Moreso if they didn't happen to be from Iowa. We aint' makin' a living as a program just batting 75%+ with Iowa 4 star talent and very rarely landing it from elsewhere, IMO.
I have no data to back this up but I would guess we've received more 4 star commits from out of state, than in.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I'm sure that's true. The question is whether we can continue to land a few (2-4) from out of state each year going forward, which IMO would be indicative of a decent level of program and recruiting health.

Ben Kenobi

Definitely Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I have no data to back this up but I would guess we've received more 4 star commits from out of state, than in.
Well it's a numbers game. Iowa doesn't usually have a ton of high caliber in-state talent. So I don't think that statement is much of a stretch.

That said, I'd like to lock up the state a little bit better. I'd rather see a guy like Lazard or Darboh go to ISU than leave the state, frankly.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Well it's a numbers game. Iowa doesn't usually have a ton of high caliber in-state talent. So I don't think that statement is much of a stretch.

That said, I'd like to lock up the state a little bit better. I'd rather see a guy like Lazard or Darboh go to ISU than leave the state, frankly.
agreed

only if they fail to make a contribution and quit the team

ISUFan98

The Captain of Team Dumbfuck
Reaction score
LSU's class is an affront to the English language

Maquedius Bain
Jeryl Brazil
Quantavius Leslie
Tre'Davious White

Ben Kenobi

Definitely Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Alabama landed an awesomely DL recruit named... Dee Liner. Also a guy named Altee Tenpenny.

Ben Kenobi

Definitely Needs to GFH
Reaction score
LSU's class is an affront to the English language

Maquedius Bain
Jeryl Brazil
Quantavius Leslie
Tre'Davious White

Reminds me of this:
[yt]Dd7FixvoKBw[/yt]

Or this:
[yt]gODZzSOelss[/yt]

Last edited:

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

Nope. If they don't go to Iowa they can go anywhere else but Ames.

foxhawks

Doesn't wash his butthole last
Reaction score
The worst part about today are the pictures of new commits wearing those ugly fucking hats.

Reaction score
Todd Worly ‏@ToddWorly247
Union ATH Trev Hadechek commits to #Iowa as preferred walk-on, discusses decision here http://iowa.247sports.com/Article/Union-ATH-Trev-Hadechek-commits-to-Iowa-discusses-decision-115381 … via @247Sports #NSD
This is very cool. I have known Trev's parents my entire life and consider them great friends. He's a great kid and will work his butt off to get into the lineup in some way. I hope he is one of the walk-on successes.

/csb

Reaction score
I hate playing the "hs film" game, since I thought Dana Brown was gonna be a star. But, Akrum Wadley's film is just ridiculous. That kid must carry some serious baggage to have no other offers. Hopefully CityBoyz hasn't found their new ring leader.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
so did we back off edwards simply because soup was leaving or what? that still seems odd to me.

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
The Iowa Hawkeyes ‏@TheIowaHawkeyes
KF: We fit most of the needs we felt were important. #Hawkeyes

Discuss

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
KF: We envision using Jonathan Parker outside, too, #Hawkeyes

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
Ryan Suchomel ‏@RSuchomel
KF: Our style is guys that can get open. WRs. #Hawkeyes

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
KF: If there is one thing I wish we could have done was signed someone who could play outside (on defense). #Hawkeyes

DE

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
Ferentz: Didn't find anyone at DE that interested us.

foxhawks

Doesn't wash his butthole last
Reaction score
Ferentz: Didn't find anyone at DE that interested us.
That's not exactly what he said....he said they didn't find anybody that impressed them that had a mutual interest.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Funny L.Wadesque side note - I recently discovered I was blocked by the Iowa Football Twitter account.

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
Ferentz: this year down at bottom of big ten, last year closer to top. Can't tell much difference in classes. #Hawkeyes

Gushawk

Reaction score
Funny L.Wadesque side note - I recently discovered I was blocked by the Iowa Football Twitter account.
Being associated with HaLo isn't all wine and roses, Mikey.

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
KF: Marshal Yanda recruited us and Sean Considine walked on. (Both are now Super Bowl champions). #Hawkeyes

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
KF: I'll get educated on the new recruiting rules Monday. #Hawkeyes

Cliff notes: he's going to fucking hate them.

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
KF: We pretty much recruit Big Ten areas and Texas. #Hawkeyes

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
I hate playing the "hs film" game, since I thought Dana Brown was gonna be a star. But, Akrum Wadley's film is just ridiculous. That kid must carry some serious baggage to have no other offers. Hopefully CityBoyz hasn't found their new ring leader.
Just watched it. Holy shit. Anyone that has a few minutes to kill should check it out. I'm not predicting stardom for him, but if - big if - he sticks with the program and puts on some weight, he could be special. He's elusive as hell and has a wicked stiff arm for a little guy.

Ben Kenobi

Definitely Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Someone in the Clemson football offices loves Twilight.

Can we discuss whether or not someone has photoshopped his face in the middle of the Twilight pic over his right shoulder (left side of the pic)? Self photobomb?

Reaction score
Just watched it. Holy shit. Anyone that has a few minutes to kill should check it out. I'm not predicting stardom for him, but if - big if - he sticks with the program and puts on some weight, he could be special. He's elusive as hell and has a wicked stiff arm for a little guy.
To answer the original question. He attends a high school that doesn't have a football team. He apparently joined the Wehanquiac (or whatever school he played at) during his junior year but only played in a couple of games. Truly an under the radar guy.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
To answer the original question. He attends a high school that doesn't have a football team. He apparently joined the Wehanquiac (or whatever school he played at) during his junior year but only played in a couple of games. Truly an under the radar guy.
Seriously? Thanks for the info.

BTW - that must be a small school conference he plays in. Some of the opponents looked pretty awful. Still, the dude has some moves...