2012/2013 Coaching Vacancies

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Apparently some Allegheny & Maine ties with Kirk.

May be something, may be nothing.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Kirk interviewed a guy who ended up taking a job at Hampton. Really? That's the level of coach and experience we are targeting? Reminds me of The Criminal.

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
Kirk interviewed a guy who ended up taking a job at Hampton. Really? That's the level of coach and experience we are targeting? Reminds me of The Criminal.
If I'm looking at things correctly, no this guy didn't turn kirk down to go to Hampton. He's at Hampton & Kirk has "allegedly" interviewed him for the WR job. Looking at his bio, I'd say he's qualified. Fucker knows how to score some fucking points it looks like.

But its probably all moot because we'll end up with someone that has a track record of little to no scoring and lots of punting.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting he turned kirk down, Im upset he was even interviewed.

Who cares if he is scores points. KOK scored a ton of points as a HC at Alleghany.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
It doesn't matter who we bring in. All fans think the OC sucks.

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
If this guy can teach the WRs GDGD's shitshow system so its not a shitshow than I'm all for him. I don't care if he's from Hampton or Bama. Working at Hampton, he's probably taking a step down in terms of talent at the WR position, honestly.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
I may have exaggerated slightly.
I've been known to do that occasionally.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
e'ryone knows we're making the inspired choice - Kennedy for WR coach. Hope and change, retread style.

Last edited:

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The tweeter machine says that Bobby Kennedy and Jim Reid are likely additions. CouldpParker be moving back to dbacks?

Gushawk

Reaction score
I assume this is the 60ish year old Jim Reid just fired as UVA's DC after a 4-8 season (in which, in fairness, his D appears to have not been awful). Appears to have Maine in common with KF. We'll probably just have him coach DBs whether he's done it before or not.

Last edited:

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Glad to see the complaint, "KF never changes" has seamlessly shifted to "KF sucks at changes"

Gushawk

Reaction score
Reid's fine...not exactly breathing fresh energy and life into the program, but fine.

It's the offensive hires, other than perhaps his son, that utterly lack boldness, imagination or even an understanding of his likely recruiting outcomes.

It probably shouldn't be a surprise that the exact same tendencies and character traits (stubbornness, extreme conservatism) that people bitched about relative to the lack of change also are showing up when he attempts to carry it out.

Last edited:

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Reid's fine...not exactly breathing fresh energy and life into the program, but fine.

It's the offensive hires, other than perhaps his son, that utterly lack boldness, imagination or even an understanding of his likely recruiting outcomes.
What do you consider bold or imaginative?

Gushawk

Reaction score
Recent involvement in successfully implementing aggressive schemes, preferably at an institution facing similar recruiting challenges. Probably relatively young and not fired from last job for ineptitude of the offense with which he was associated.

Last edited:

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Recent involvement in successfully implementing aggressive schemes. Probably relatively young and not fired from last job for ineptitude of the offense with which he was associated.
Which would put him at a mid-major or lower. You're telling me you wouldn't scoff when KF announced he was hiring the 25 year old WR coach from Idaho State?

Gushawk

Reaction score
Which would put him at a mid-major or lower. You're telling me you wouldn't scoff when KF announced he was hiring the 25 year old WR coach from Idaho State?
Far less so than at Greg Davis, Bobby Kennedy and likely whomever Davis hires to replace Erb.

How one could actively prefer the tired retread route to the hungry, younger, fresher, more energetic route is beyond me.

Last edited:

Alan Lomax

Reaction score

It probably shouldn't be a surprise that the exact same tendencies and character traits (stubbornness, extreme conservatism) that people bitched about relative to the lack of change also are showing up when he attempts to carry it out.
What the fuck are you talking about? People bitch because they are bitches. GD was the most productive offensive coordinator in Texas football history, fired because "something had to change" and considerably different than KOK.

"Yeah but Texas fans said they'd run routes short of 1st downs!?!?!" Yeah, football teams do that a lot and it is frustrating, but not a GD issue, it's a "the defense knows where the first down is too" problem.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
I just don't think anyone would make you happy.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I just don't think anyone would make you happy.
Greg Davis and his band of buddies sure don't, that's for sure. I actually regularly defended O'Keefe, though saying he "made me happy" would probably be an exaggeration.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I'm glad you are enjoying them.

I doubt we get to see Kirk hire another offensive staff.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
We know Gus. We know.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Tooootally the same.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Tooootally the same.
If 2013 Iowa finishes in the top 6 big ten teams in total offense, I will never bitch about Davis again, and will admit I was hasty in my declaration that his offense is dogshit, for Iowa.

If they do not finish outside the bottom 4, you will admit that, once again, as with Lick, you were blinded to Davis' obvious shittiness by denial.

Deal?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Iowa's ability to make an old, white coaching staff older and whiter with hires is sort of amazing.

Gushawk

Reaction score
You'd be bitching about non-BCS hires too!

Poor KF can't win.

Last edited:

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Tooootally the same.
If 2013 Iowa finishes in the top 6 big ten teams in total offense, I will never bitch about Davis again, and will admit I was hasty in my declaration that his offense is dogshit, for Iowa.

If they do not finish outside the bottom 4, you will admit that, once again, as with Lick, you were blinded to Davis' obvious shittiness by denial.

Deal?
I just want you to smile big fella :)

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
But while we're at it, is that the best stat to determine his level of suckiness? You said you defended KOK but how many times did we finish in the lower half of the conference in total offense under him? I honestly don't know.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
And why do you keep bringing up The Criminal? I defended the guy until the end of year 2 for no other reason than I felt people wrote him off after 5 games or after someone's mom got dissed at the airport. You act like its some sort if indictment against me.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Iowa's ability to make an old, white coaching staff older and whiter with hires is sort of amazing.
This is my biggest gripe with Ferentz and these coaching changes. You think he would be smart enough when he lost his 70 year old and 61 year Defensive and Offensive Coordinators to replace them with some solid youth.

Instead, he hires an even older Offensive Coordinator, slides a current 14 years on the staff no spring chicken coach to the Defensive Coordinator. Yes, he hired his 29 year old son and 35 year old Levar Woods and that was a great start.

Now when he loses his 43 year old RB coach and 45 year old black WR coach, he should go with some guys in their early to mid-30's who are hungry, can coach and recruit. Instead, he is on the verge of hiring a 45 year old white WR coach who has been fired twice in the past few years and a 63 year old white guy who also has been fired multiple times in the past few years.

I'm not quite sure what the plan is with Iowa. Look around the country and even the Big Ten, there are very few teams with a staff as old as Iowa right now.

Kirk Ferentz - 58
Reese Morgan - 63
Jim Reid - 63
Greg Davis - 61
Darrell Wilson - 55
Phil Parker - 50
Bobby Kennedy - 45
Levar Woods - 35
Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz - 30

Your coaching staff is an average of 51 years old. I would bet that this is by far the oldest staff in the Big Ten.

Gushawk

Reaction score
But while we're at it, is that the best stat to determine his level of suckiness? You said you defended KOK but how many times did we finish in the lower half of the conference in total offense under him? I honestly don't know.
Plenty, though rarely if ever in last year's stunning fashion...the JC year being the exception.

God forbid someone might expect progress rather than further regression with a new coach.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
You missed the point. You have a stat that you're going to hold GD to but defended KOK. I don't get it.

Gushawk

Reaction score
And why do you keep bringing up The Criminal? I defended the guy until the end of year 2 for no other reason than I felt people wrote him off after 5 games or after someone's mom got dissed at the airport. You act like its some sort if indictment against me.
That Lick wasn't going to work at Iowa and the big ten was almost immediately apparent. Definitely was apparent after his first season and recruiting class for those willing to see it.

Gushawk

Reaction score
You missed the point. You have a stat that you're going to hold GD to but defended KOK. I don't get it.
I'm not holding Davis to anything other than to say that if his offense is in the bottom third of the conference it's safe to say it sucks and if its in the top half it's safe to say it doesn't. I would have said the same of KOK.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
This is my biggest gripe with Ferentz and these coaching changes. You think he would be smart enough when he lost his 70 year old and 61 year Defensive and Offensive Coordinators to replace them with some solid youth.

Instead, he hires an even older Offensive Coordinator, slides a current 14 years on the staff no spring chicken coach to the Defensive Coordinator. Yes, he hired his 29 year old son and 35 year old Levar Woods and that was a great start.

Now when he loses his 43 year old RB coach and 45 year old black WR coach, he should go with some guys in their early to mid-30's who are hungry, can coach and recruit. Instead, he is on the verge of hiring a 45 year old white WR coach who has been fired twice in the past few years and a 63 year old white guy who also has been fired multiple times in the past few years.

I'm not quite sure what the plan is with Iowa. Look around the country and even the Big Ten, there are very few teams with a staff as old as Iowa right now.

Kirk Ferentz - 58
Reese Morgan - 63
Jim Reid - 63
Greg Davis - 61
Darrell Wilson - 55
Phil Parker - 50
Bobby Kennedy - 45
Levar Woods - 35
Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz - 30

Your coaching staff is an average of 51 years old. I would bet that this is by far the oldest staff in the Big Ten.
I checked one Big Ten team, Michigan, and the average age of their coaching staff is 51 also. Their coordinators are 62 and 55. This is just finding something to bitch about because your team had a bad year.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score

What the fuck are you talking about? People bitch because they are bitches. GD was the most productive offensive coordinator in Texas football history, fired because "something had to change" and considerably different than KOK.

"Yeah but Texas fans said they'd run routes short of 1st downs!?!?!" Yeah, football teams do that a lot and it is frustrating, but not a GD issue, it's a "the defense knows where the first down is too" problem.
It's almost like you didnt watch any of the games.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Who was the QB in Davis's last year at Texas??
Mostly but not all Gilbert. He too sucked in the short, read option passing game because he couldn't improvise on the high % of plays where it breaks down.

And the awfulness of its fit with an offense primarily predicated on a slowish developing zone blocking running game cannot be overstated, IMO

Last edited:

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
It's almost like you didnt watch any of the games.
In watching the games do you honestly think that offensive coordinating was the main problem over, say, starting a fifth year senior at quarterback that just couldn't get it? I don't think we know much of anything about scheme at this point because player decisions were such a train wreck. Also, I don't find any pleasure in hoping my favorite team fails so that I can be "right."

Gushawk

Reaction score
When you go 4-8 with historically awful offensive production...particularly passing game...with a senior QB who was previously serviceable, I'm not sure how you can argue schemes/coordinating weren't a major contributing factor.

Yes, Vandy certainly didn't take like a duck to water to the offense and sucked. But the mesh between this passing game and the rest of the pieces comprising Iowa's offense seems really questionable. If there is again basically no play action or threat down the field again this season, and the offense again gets clogged up and clogged down by any decent defense, we'll know exactly where the fault lies. The Northern Illinois game will be a very good barometer.

I'd love nothing more for the offense to be highly efficient and occasionally explosive.

Last edited:

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
It's so easy to proclaim everything sucks and then just say "I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so."

Gushawk

Reaction score
It's so easy to proclaim everything sucks and then just say "I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so."
Yeah- I'm pretty much just blindly asserting it sucks without saying why I think that, or what I think might make it suck less.