Willies

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Matt Vandeberg is a better WR than Derrick Willies. That is not particularly controversial.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Well, the regular season is over and Willies finished with a big goose egg against Baylor. Despite his team throwing literally more than twice as many passes as Iowa, (365 more attempts on the year to be exact), Willies finished with fewer catches than 3 Iowa wide receivers.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Well, the regular season is over and Willies finished with a big goose egg against Baylor. Despite his team throwing literally more than twice as many passes as Iowa, (365 more attempts on the year to be exact), Willies finished with fewer catches than 3 Iowa wide receivers.
Yeah but that box jump was sick.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
Matt Vandeberg is a better WR than Derrick Willies. That is not particularly controversial.
And in how many years will Gavin Holmes do better in system "better for him" than MVB's 65 catches in '15?
The "better for him" comment speaks volumes about this kid and a lot of other kids these days. Gone are the days of wanting to play for a school and being willing to do whatever they want you to do to make the team better. It's all about "me" and only me. Naturally you want to play where you feel you will fit the best, but many kids aren't willing to think of the team first.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
And in how many years will Gavin Holmes do better in system "better for him" than MVB's 65 catches in '15?
The "better for him" comment speaks volumes about this kid and a lot of other kids these days. Gone are the days of wanting to play for a school and being willing to do whatever they want you to do to make the team better. It's all about "me" and only me. Naturally you want to play where you feel you will fit the best, but many kids aren't willing to think of the team first.
I have been critical of some of the talent brought in over the years, but also think Ferentz has proved the last 7 or 8 years that you are much better off recruiting players that fit your system rather than selling out and getting players that are more talented but don't fit or trying to change to fit them.

There was a time there when Iowa was taking too many questionable players and it led to arguably one of the worst embarrassment of Ferentz's career at Iowa. The guys he was recruiting around the 2007 time period trying to replicate the 2005 class were of low character and led to people getting raped, record legal troubles and arrests and way too much trouble than was worth it.

Nolookpass had a great point about how Iowa has had very few distractions off the field and only fringe guys getting arrested.