Game Thread *** UNI @ Iowa - 8/30, 11:00 a.m. BTN ***

Reaction score
Meier/Hardy at one DE

Spearman/Jewell at LB is somewhat surprising

Mabin has no slash so he outright won it apparently.

P is a slash.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
As my boy @HawkLax6 knows, the 2 deeps don't mean shit, but still a lot of surprises from where this team was in the Spring.

- Bo Bower starting at LB
- Duzey not listed but Kreiger-Koble is
- Powell is ready to go instead of missing up to 4 games
- Meier starting
- Cooper not listed
- John Kenny seems to have fallen way back
- Mabin starting
- Miles Taylor not listed, but seems to be Lowdermilk's replacement

Reaction score
Cooper is definitely hurt.

We know KF steadfastly refuses to list true frosh in two deeps until they are literally strarting (see King last year).

Ben Kenobi

Definitely Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I would guess we see more of Hardy and that Meier is mostly 3rd down guy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
With all the hype over Spearman I find the Spearman/Jewell interesting.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Hardy can't run much, but he is strong and powerful with long effing arms. His hand to the throat area bull rush is solid. It takes a quality tackle to stalemate it.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I am really excited for Greg Mabin at CB opposite King. Love his speed and size. That could be a memorable duo down the road.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Weisman/Bullock, Canzeri

:icon_neutral:

Too lazy to look, but I thought it was Weisman/Canzeri, Bullock/Daniels earlier this year.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I think that is Ferentz doing his Senior thing for Bullock. He had fucking Jason White and Paki on the 2 deeps for an entire season when they would never even play.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
So excited for the season!!!

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
This game vs NIU should be a blowout. Probably 63-0. What is Iowa's record vs other division 2 teams?

Reaction score
If I were CJ about to enter the game for my designated series, I think I'd be asking Greg & Bobby if I can please play with the 2nd string receivers.

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Early weather forecast says it should be a nice day for the game. KCRG says partly cloudy at 80 degrees.

OlePeep

The Conductor
Reaction score
I don't think I'd ever heard of Bo Bower until this year's camp photos. Now he may have supplanted Perry? RS Frosh walk on. That and Jewell competing at those LB spots makes me a tad nervous again about the issue of replacing that LB corp w/ 2 draftees and one FA in it, regardless of the strength of the DL.

Reaction score
I don't think I'd ever heard of Bo Bower until this year's camp photos. Now he may have supplanted Perry? RS Frosh walk on. That and Jewell competing at those LB spots makes me a tad nervous again about the issue of replacing that LB corp w/ 2 draftees and one FA in it, regardless of the strength of the DL.
Right. They are still moving people around I think Perry moved to the middle to back up Alston (something going on there). Bower is good he had a full ride at UNI but walked on here.

Gushawk

Reaction score
My guess is all 4 play quite a bit these first 2 games and hopefully the cream has separated itself by ISU or Pitt. My sense is that Perry knows what he's doing and is good at being where he needs to be in the passing game, but Bower attacks the ball with more aggression and effectiveness and probably runs better.

The Spearman/Jewel race is an even greater mystery, IMO. I have no idea how close it is or what distinguishes them in terms of strengths and weaknesses (other than Spearman having a size advantage).

douglasbader

Reaction score
My guess is all 4 play quite a bit these first 2 games and hopefully the cream has separated itself by ISU or Pitt. My sense is that Perry knows what he's doing and is good at being where he needs to be in the passing game, but Bower attacks the ball with more aggression and effectiveness and probably runs better.

The Spearman/Jewel race is an even greater mystery, IMO. I have no idea how close it is or what distinguishes them in terms of strengths and weaknesses (other than Spearman having a size advantage).
There are comments from Phil Parker yesterday stating that Perry has moved inside behind Alston and Jewell is backing up Spearman with Bower on the outside.

I would guess they are going to experiment a lot more with the RAIDER!!!! packages and a lot of guys are going to get snaps. Remember that even last year when Iowa had 3 senior NFL linebackers, Alston and Spearman were in for a lot of plays on 3rd down.

They also want to see who can actually play during games and not just practice, so I would say by the Pitt game there will be a much better idea of who is capable of that.

Reaction score
The Iowa sports marketing reminds everyone that August 30th is the fifth annual "Wear It Purple" day to raise awareness for gay & Lesbian causes. Please remember to wear purple for the game and purple pom poms will be placed on seats in the student section.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
The Iowa sports marketing reminds everyone that August 30th is the fifth annual "Wear It Purple" day to raise awareness for gay & Lesbian causes. Please remember to wear purple for the game and purple pom poms will be placed on seats in the student section.

Full retard. On several levels.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score

notsureifserious.jpg
It sounds exactly like something the marketing department would do. But if yugo was trolling, ill gladly gfm...

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score

sergeanthulka

Reaction score

Read the date carefully, bud.
Still highly retarded, irrespective of year. Or institution.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
Looked at the UNI depth chart a bit. They have some very good size on both lines.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Looked at the UNI depth chart a bit. They have some very good size on both lines.
Carl Davis had very good size when he showed up as a freshman. He was awful.

Reaction score

So for those keeping track the guy that wold have been at best 5th in Iowa's RB depth chart has vaulted to 2nd in about four weeks at UNI and they have better skill/speed at RB.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score

So for those keeping track the guy that wold have been at best 5th in Iowa's RB depth chart has vaulted to 2nd in about four weeks at UNI and they have better skill/speed at RB.
My understanding is that their starter is better than any one of our guys. Is that incorrect? I haven’t seen the kid play.

Gushawk

Reaction score
He's very good. I'd take him as our starter, but I don't necessarily think it will look like it on Saturday. He'll hurt us most catching it out of the backfield, I think.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
He's very good. I'd take him as our starter, but I don't necessarily think it will look like it on Saturday. He'll hurt us most catching it out of the backfield, I think.
correct

his running game plays right into Iowa's strength

Reaction score
Not sure if they are any good or not, but UNI's depth chart is full of seniors. Don't think it will be a blowout as UNI will be all jacked up and sometimes Iowa is a snoozer for these types of games. Not having a solid kicker at this point is concerning.

Reaction score
The locals in the Metro! are completely focused on the 2009 "near" loss.

Not one mention of the most recent game(2012) that Iowa won by double digits. Keep in mind that was the worst Iowa team in recent memory.