**Purdue vs. Iowa - Thursday 1/12 - 8:00pm BTN**

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
The vision of McCabe's face after getting called for an obvious foul is burned into my brain.

Reaction score
Despite the crazy size differences, Iowa shot 61% from 2, Purdue shot 48%. Outrebounded them. Blocked 12% of their 2's while they only blocked 2% of ours. We turned it over less and shot beter from the field. They went 21-25 at the line while we were 9-18 and still won by 5.

29, 8 and 6 for Pete on 4-7 from 3, 7-12 from 2 and 3-4 from the line.
bohannon had 12 and 9 with 1 turnover. 2-4 from 3, 2-3 from 2 and 2-2 from the line.
16 and 6 for Cook on 7-10 from the line with 2 assists and 2 steals.
Baer had 10 boards, 2 assists, a block and a steal in 19 fucking minutes.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I fucking hated the bohannon offer too. A lot of us did. So fun
That thread around that time would be fun to revisit. I think I'd come out alright on that. I didn't expect this as a freshman but I saw him a few times last year and knew he was a tough fucker. Liked that he had to create his own shot from 3 so much and got it off quick in tight spots.
Doug, OTOH, does not come out alright in that thread. Used the word "disaster" quite a bit.

Quite a bit.
RATT

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Haas and Swanigan wanted no part of actually playing defense tonight. Lazy fuckers on D.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
Jok is just the third Big Ten player in the last 20 years to put up 29+ points, 8+ assists and 6+ rebounds against a ranked opponent.

Looking at all Division I players who have done that during the stretch, some names include Denzel Valentine, Kemba Walker, Greivis Vasquez, Dwyane Wade, Jason Williams among 6-7 others.

Reaction score
Outscored them 40-20 in the paint.

Swanigan had Haas played 60 minutes and combined for 30 and 14. 8-15 from 2.
Cook, Pemsl and Kriener played 61 minutes and combined for 26 and 16. 12-19 from 2.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
We only have team points in the paint since 2014-15 and Purdue hasn't been outscored by 20+ in that category over that stretch except for tonight.

MickerHawk

Drives a 22R
Reaction score
Despite the crazy size differences, Iowa shot 61% from 2, Purdue shot 48%. Outrebounded them. Blocked 12% of their 2's while they only blocked 2% of ours. We turned it over less and shot beter from the field. They went 21-25 at the line while we were 9-18 and still won by 5.

29, 8 and 6 for Pete on 4-7 from 3, 7-12 from 2 and 3-4 from the line.
bohannon had 12 and 9 with 1 turnover. 2-4 from 3, 2-3 from 2 and 2-2 from the line.
16 and 6 for Cook on 7-10 from the line with 2 assists and 2 steals.
Baer had 10 boards, 2 assists, a block and a steal in 19 fucking minutes.
All effort. Astounding.

Reaction score
Other than Hass is the size difference really that big of a deal? Swanigan is beefy but he's in the 6'8" - 6'9" range... so barely an inch on either Cook or Pemsl. I guess Edwards is 6'8" but we some had Baer or Wagner on him, so again about an inch. Also Haas played 25/40 minutes so Edwards spent a lot of time at the 4 as Purdue's tallest sub was 6'6".

PipeDaddy

Nanny State Leach Enabler
Reaction score
This season is a ride. Grin like a mofo on nights like this. SMH, but still end up grinning anyway on other nights. Cuz even on the bad nights it is still obvious what the future holds.

I am a little disappointed for Jok since he likely won't make the NCAAs his senior year, but he is so fun to watch. He needs such a small amount of space to get a shot off. I can't recall the last Hawkeye that I expect almost every shot to go in when it leaves his hands.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
This season is a ride. Grin like a mofo on nights like this. SMH, but still end up grinning anyway on other nights. Cuz even on the bad nights it is still obvious what the future holds.

I am a little disappointed for Jok since he likely won't make the NCAAs his senior year, but he is so fun to watch. He needs such a small amount of space to get a shot off. I can't recall the last Hawkeye that I expect almost every shot to go in when it leaves his hands.
GTFO.

#CCMF

Last edited:

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Let me clarify. I agree the Hawks most likely will not make the dance, but watching them beat a team that is as bad of a matchup as Purdue really changes things in my eyes. What team in the Big Ten couldn't they beat? I think Purdue is the best team we will face in the Big Ten and that every team is beatable.

After tonight's win, there is no reason to not start thinking about Iowa playing their way into the mix. Sunday at Northwestern will be a great start.

Because one game at a time.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Jok is the only senior right?
Big loss but
Stroke out?
He might be the best shooter we've ever had.
Imo, he's unequivocally the best shooter that's ever played at Iowa.
Not even on the radar for the Wooden though. These faggots don't know the first thing about doing their research.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/wooden170112/purdue-boilermakers-caleb-swanigan-makes-wooden-watch-debut

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Let me clarify. I agree the Hawks most likely will not make the dance, but watching them beat a team that is as bad of a matchup as Purdue really changes things in my eyes. What team in the Big Ten couldn't they beat? I think Purdue is the best team we will face in the Big Ten and that every team is beatable.

After tonight's win, there is no reason to not start thinking about Iowa playing their way into the mix. Sunday at Northwestern will be a great start.

Because one game at a time.
Wisconsin is the best in the league

Reaction score
We only have team points in the paint since 2014-15 and Purdue hasn't been outscored by 20+ in that category over that stretch except for tonight.
the highlight of fran's interview (around 1:25) is when someone asks him about the 20-point margin in the paint, and fran immediately looks down at his stat sheet and then does a triple take like he'd just been dealt a royal flush

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Last year, we had seniors that were afraid to shoot. They waited around on offense for Jok or Uthoff to do something. This season we have freshmen playing more confidence than our seniors a year ago.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Last year, we had seniors that were afraid to shoot. They waited around on offense for Jok or Uthoff to do something. This season we have freshmen playing more confidence than our seniors a year ago.
Yes. Hopefully experience doesn't change that. There are pluses to being young and dumb.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
When he was dribbling up top I was thinking 'just shoot it'
I said in chat I'm already more confident in and pleased with bohannon than I was with Gesell in year four.
bohannon has to be the biggest surprise of the year for us right? I had seriously low expectations for him coming into the season.

Probably although I sort of feel that way about Jok. I never expected him to be this good and this much of a leader.

I wonder how last years team would have been with bohannon at PG

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
safe to say espn was right about bohannon, rating him as 4-star with a scout's grade of 80.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Pretty fair to say that bohannon, Baer, Pemsl, and Jok are all playing above relative expectations and Cook is meeting some fairly lofty expectations.

Williams and Uhl have been the underperformers.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
When he was dribbling up top I was thinking 'just shoot it'
I said in chat I'm already more confident in and pleased with bohannon than I was with Gesell in year four.
bohannon has to be the biggest surprise of the year for us right? I had seriously low expectations for him coming into the season.
He certainly handles the ball well and has a quick release on his jumper....he's going to be a very good four year PG for Fran.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Uhl even attempting that dunk was a step in the right direction for him. Usually he would see the defender then shoot some awkward fall away layup.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
The thing about confidence is that it's contagious. Same thing is true for fear/hesitation.

If you've got a few guys with real fight in them, it permeates the rest of the team. That's when you have dudes like Kriener coming in cold and draining 15 footers over all-americans.

That's what is most impressive to me about this freshman class.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Also lost in all of this is the excellent job that Fran did last night in terms of the game plan (pick and roll like a mofo to put pressure on the Purdue bigs), late game decisions and substitutions (despite losing guys left and right to injuries).

OlePeep

The Conductor
Reaction score
I feel like i've watched most of the games start-to-finish this year, but it seems like last night was the first game they showed some commitment to a 2 man game w/ Jok and Cook/Pemsl/name your big. W/ the way defenses are forced to deal w/ Jok, seems like developing that action could be devastating. W/ Cook's ability to finish, what the fuck do you do? Pick your poison.