Game Thread **Official Iowa vs. Iowa State Game Thread - 3:45pm on FOX**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Damn, am I reading this correctly? Doug LOVES to celebrate KF's 3 TOP 8 FINISHES! Am I correct that he's only beaten one team in those years that was rated in the top 7 (PSU in 09)? And he wants to make fun of Hayden's first Rose Bowl team that beat 3 teams ranked in the top 7? Get a clue. KF is a joke.
Also, those TOP 7!!! teams finished 9-3, 7-4-1 and 9-3 in 1981. Good wins, but not exactly a bunch of 1 loss teams.

Reaction score
Never good when you're in a page long back and forth with Doug and Doug is the one who appears rational.

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
If someone is gonna argue that the Big 10 was stronger back before PSU and Nebrantska were in it and Wisconsin and Northwestern were terrible every year then it's probably a waste of time to to argue with him
I think it's a tossup. I really don't think it was significantly better or worse during either era. When Penn State, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Michigan State got good in the early-mid 2000s, Michigan and OSU weren't great/sanctioned. It's been probably deeper during KF's years, but there have rarely been more top 10/15/20 teams any given year than there were during Fry's time.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Damn, am I reading this correctly? Doug LOVES to celebrate KF's 3 TOP 8 FINISHES! Am I correct that he's only beaten one team in those years that was rated in the top 7 (PSU in 09)? And he wants to make fun of Hayden's first Rose Bowl team that beat 3 teams ranked in the top 7? Get a clue. KF is a joke.
You didn't read that right, I'm not making fun of Hayden's first Rose Bowl team, we're making fun of you being completely irrational.

Reaction score
He has 4 - Top 8 finishes, not 3.

I don't want to make fun of any of it, but seeing you get trolled for once and knowing how emotional you are about Hayden is sort of fun.
My bad, Doug. Forgive me for forgetting a year in which Iowa finished tied for fourth in the Big Ten.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Hayden did a better job at Iowa. Kirk's had his moments but his bowl wins have generally been against teams that hoped to be in bigger bowls than playing Iowa. Iowa has gotten better bowls then they deserve during Kirk's tenure cause the fans will travel and the bowls are about ca$h

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Soooo.....where is the game watch in the METRO!!1!???
This is a valid question. I got invited to a neighbor's house for the game but that's not going to work for me. Too many clones will be in attendance. I need a Cyclone free zone Saturday.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Hayden did a better job at Iowa. Kirk's had his moments but his bowl wins have generally been against teams that hoped to be in bigger bowls than playing Iowa. Iowa has gotten better bowls then they deserve during Kirk's tenure cause the fans will travel and the bowls are about ca$h
How about we all be rational and say both have done a good job overall at Iowa?

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
How about we all be rational and say both have done a good job overall at Iowa?
My post was rational

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score

I don't want to make fun of any of it, but seeing you get trolled for once and knowing how emotional you are about Hayden is sort of fun.
My bad, Doug. Forgive me for forgetting a year in which Iowa finished tied for fourth in the Big Ten.
1990?

Reaction score

1990?
What the fuck are you talking about? Iowa tied for FIRST that year. They also beat each of the teams which they tied. 2003 Iowa tied for FOURTH PLACE in the Big Ten.

Reaction score
Both have done well, Brett will finally get us over the Rose bowl hump

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Doug is dealing body blow after body blow and jabb just keeps coming back for more.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
This is terrible post. I hope you were drunk.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
If we were to go another forty years with the kind of success Hayden and Kirk have given us, I think mostly all of us would take that. Ups and downs along the way, but both men have made Iowa relevant and have put Iowa in situations where a national title was a legitimate dream.

To say that Kirk is a scam artist is downright laughable. You don't succeed over the long haul at a place like this without being a damned fine football coach. One of the best this program will ever have.

Reaction score
Lets not get carried away here. Hayden was 0-3 in the Rose Bowl. None of the games were close either including a blowout loss to UCLA that started their backup QB and a backup freshman tailback. The knock on Hayden's teams was that outside of the 1985 Michigan game, they couldn't the big games. The Big10 wasn't all that great in the 80s and 90s outside of Ohio State and Michigan either. Hayden gets credit for bringing the program back after 20+ years of sub-par football but I think Kirk's best teams were better than any of Hayden's teams.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
Lets not get carried away here. Hayden was 0-3 in the Rose Bowl. None of the games were close either including a blowout loss to UCLA that started their backup QB and a backup freshman tailback. The knock on Hayden's teams was that outside of the 1985 Michigan game, they couldn't the big games. The Big10 wasn't all that great in the 80s and 90s outside of Ohio State and Michigan either. Hayden gets credit for bringing the program back after 20+ years of sub-par football but I think Kirk's best teams were better than any of Hayden's teams.
That 1985 team other than the Rose Bowl effort was a really good team. Kind of hard to compare teams two decades apart.

Reaction score
He also had six losing seasons and 3-4 five or six win seasons as well. It's tough to win at Iowa if you're not on the ball all the time

Eastside Ray Ray

Cleans his ass with toilet water
Reaction score
I don't like KF and am on record thinking this team is dogshit - regardless of the opener.

But jabber you got worked in this thread.

To doug.

Let that sink in. :)

Reaction score
Got to give some credit to Ronnie H.

Reaction score
Good coaches don't go 5 years without having a team appear in the rankings.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
If someone is gonna argue that the Big 10 was stronger back before PSU and Nebrantska were in it and Wisconsin and Northwestern were terrible every year then it's probably a waste of time to to argue with him
I think it's a tossup. I really don't think it was significantly better or worse during either era. When Penn State, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Michigan State got good in the early-mid 2000s, Michigan and OSU weren't great/sanctioned. It's been probably deeper during KF's years, but there have rarely been more top 10/15/20 teams any given year than there were during Fry's time.

Michigan and OSU weren't great from 2000-2007 (feel free to change your def of early to mid 2000's)?

Michigan 73-27 with 7 Top 20 finishes
Ohio State 81-20 with 5 Top 5 finishes

Penn State was much better from 93 (start of B10 play) to 1999 than 2000-2007
It could be argued that Wisconsin was as good or better from 93 to 99 than 2000-2007

Penn State was 55-42 from 2000-2007

Northwestern was 44-52 from 2000-2007
Michigan State was 45-51 from 2000-2007

Reaction score
Iowa also missed a lot of teams during their really good years. Ohio State, for instance, with each national title.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Either of those would seem to suffice in terms of the point, as would any other number 3 or higher.

Reaction score
It's not really fair though, once you figure in 14 SEC teams there ain't a lot of slots left

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
Either of those would seem to suffice in terms of the point, as would any other number 3 or higher.
Well, if it's three then ol HF falls under that guideline.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Have to mention KF's 2002 team got fucked out of playing in the Rose Bowl. They would have piss pounded WSU.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Where is the Iowa-Iowa State "Game Thread"?

Reaction score
I'm concerned about two things with the game thread.

1) When did we switch to "**" instead of "***" for official threads?!?!?

2) Can we lock the pre-thread at kickoff and have a different thread for post-game, @Wild Onion? I guess we don't have to lock but that's what we did last year. I like having a separate post-game thread for finding meltdowns.

FWIW. Peace.

douglasbader

Reaction score

2) Can we lock the pre-thread at kickoff and have a different thread for post-game, @Wild Onion? I guess we don't have to lock but that's what we did last year. I like having a separate post-game thread for finding meltdowns.

FWIW. Peace.
I like keeping the thread the same pre and post game so you can easily quote and PWN people for what they said before the game.

Wild Onion

Banned
Reaction score

I prefer two to three, but really neither are necessary anymore with the "game thread" tag.

FWIW. Peace.
I'm agnostic on this issue. I'll defer to the prevailing wisdom.

Reaction score

FWIW. Peace.
I like keeping the thread the same pre and post game so you can easily quote and PWN people for what they said before the game.
That's a reasonable counter-argument; alas, I still disagree.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
A conversation I had with a B12 employee who analyzes games thinks Iowa wins by 10+. He thinks it will be close at halftime, but Iowa dominates the lines in the second half.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
There are legitimate reasons to be optimistic and not necessarily because of one game.
Sure but a few of those reasons were present last year and Kirk went all dumbfuck. I can't get behind this team until I see a Greg Davis called offense for an entire game that doesn't include running out the clock the entire second half against an fcs school.
I get why you are hesitant and most everyone else still is, but there are multiple signs that are much better than last year after 1 game. The first thing is Beathard is a huge upgrade over Rudock, the second is the RB's are much improved and the 3rd is the DL looks to have little to no drop off. Last year they opened against UNI and David Johnson torched them and it was 24-20 going into the 4th quarter.

They didn't exactly run out the clock against Illinois State as it was 17-0 at half and they scored a touchdown in the 3rd quarter and another in the 4th quarter to make it 31-0. I think Illinois State had under 100 yards of total offense at that point.
I hear you and I agree with you that things went better than I expected. Much better actually. Part of that is personnel and part of that is probably Illinois St not being as good as expected. I don't expect the ISU offensive line to be shoved around as easily which will put more pressure on our corners to cover a pretty good pair of WR. I'm also hesitant based successful we will be running against ISU and if we struggle to run I cringe thinking about the passing game GDGD will call.

Reaction score
Sure but a few of those reasons were present last year and Kirk went all dumbfuck. I can't get behind this team until I see a Greg Davis called offense for an entire game that doesn't include running out the clock the entire second half against an fcs school.
I get why you are hesitant and most everyone else still is, but there are multiple signs that are much better than last year after 1 game. The first thing is Beathard is a huge upgrade over Rudock, the second is the RB's are much improved and the 3rd is the DL looks to have little to no drop off. Last year they opened against UNI and David Johnson torched them and it was 24-20 going into the 4th quarter.

They didn't exactly run out the clock against Illinois State as it was 17-0 at half and they scored a touchdown in the 3rd quarter and another in the 4th quarter to make it 31-0. I think Illinois State had under 100 yards of total offense at that point.
I hear you and I agree with you that things went better than I expected. Much better actually. Part of that is personnel and part of that is probably Illinois St not being as good as expected. I don't expect the ISU offensive line to be shoved around as easily which will put more pressure on our corners to cover a pretty good pair of WR. I'm also hesitant based successful we will be running against ISU and if we struggle to run I cringe thinking about the passing game GDGD will call.

I agree...we need to execute our passing game and actually emphasize the TEs as a safety valve if needed. They have NOT been used very well during Greg Davis's tenure at Iowa. We need to make ISU pay for stacking the box against our run game and we've done a poor job of that with Kirk as the HC