Game Thread **Official Iowa vs. Illinois Game Thread - 11:00am - BTN**

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Kf just channeling his '04 mentality. Gonna win on defense and special teams

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I don't think CJ sucks. I just think we're past the point of blaming it all on the receivers. His accuracy is noticeably off from last year.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
I think you have to specifically choose to kick in order to kick twice
If that is true, what a dumbfuck.
I take that back, it looks like you were right. Anyhow, deferring is different than picking a side, which Kirk just learned
He chose the side of the field he wanted to defend. To start the game. So that means he wouldn't be defending that end in the 4th quarter. He's truly a fucking moronic x's and o's coach.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I don't think CJ sucks. I just think we're past the point of blaming it all on the receivers. His accuracy is noticeably off from last year.
To be clear, I don't think he sucks overall as a quarterback going forward the rest of his career, but I think that right now he sure is playing legitimately bad.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
It's the shitty fucking system. If he doesn't have receivers that he trusts and "shows him eyes" then we get what we're seeing.

God forbid running normal fucking routes and let your quarterback throw to a spot.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
His stats are down almost across the board from last year - rating, INTs, YPA, completion %, etc. Those are just the measurables. Something just seems off to me.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
What's weird is that those awful announcers didn't even make a big deal out of that incredibly stupid decision.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

Wait.... what??
I've spent five minutes reading and thinking about this, I think Kirk honestly thinks he was exploiting a loophole
From the texts I got, what people said in chat and my own knowledge of the situation, I'm pretty sure Kirk thought he would get the wind in the first and fourth quarters. As did a lot of people. Basically Iowa picked the wrong wind direction to start the game.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score

Wait.... what??
I've spent five minutes reading and thinking about this, I think Kirk honestly thinks he was exploiting a loophole
From the texts I got, what people said in chat and my own knowledge of the situation, I'm pretty sure Kirk thought he would get the wind in the first and fourth quarters. As did a lot of people. Basically Iowa picked the wrong wind direction to start the game.
:roll::roll::roll:

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Also, Beathard is playing awful but I still get excited when he drops back and chucks it deep. Which is about once a month.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Kirk is a genius, you guys just don't get it.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Also, Beathard is playing awful but I still get excited when he drops back and chucks it deep. Which is about once a month.
I don't anymore given he has missed on the last 5 or 6 times I think.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
When Beathard drops back he chucks it deep about 1% of the time. The rest is the time he's either getting sacked or firing a fastball about 5 yards down the field slightly behind his target.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
I don't anymore given he has missed on the last 5 or 6 times I think.
Plus if it's to Smith he's gonna forget to look for the ball and it's more likely to get picked than caught by our guy.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
It's the shitty fucking system. If he doesn't have receivers that he trusts and "shows him eyes" then we get what we're seeing.

God forbid running normal fucking routes and let your quarterback throw to a spot.
Same system as last year.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score

With way better options at receiver and tight end, right?

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
CJ hasn't been good but I don't put that all on him when I know who is coaching him and who he's throwing to. Garbage in both instances.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

Better, of course. But you're digging your heels in on this. I've already said that it's not all his fault. But it is unquestionably partially his fault. You can't watch these games and get around the fact that he is simply not as accurate as last year.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Did losing them make him noticeably slower?

The reality is he is likely still injured and out of shape from his surgery. Something isn't right with him.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
I don't think a quarterback just all of a sudden looses his ability to be accurate with the ball.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score

The reality is he is likely still injured and out of shape from his surgery. Something isn't right with him.
That very well could be but the more obvious factors stick out to me in that his receivers being absolute garbage. This shitty offense seems like it needs a TON of reps and trust of what your receivers are going to do. He obviously trusted Vandy before he got hurt. He had it with Smith last year and Krieger Coble, who by the way, is a fuckton better than Kittle.

douglasbader

Reaction score

That very well could be but the more obvious factors stick out to me in that his receivers being absolute garbage. This shitty offense seems like it needs a TON of reps and trust of what you're receivers are going to do. He obviously trusted Vandy before he got hurt. He had out with Smith last year and Krieger Coble, who by the way, is a fuckton better than Kittle.
Either way, I hope that Ferentz wakes the fuck up and makes some changes. Greg Davis and his shit system have to go.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
That being said, CJ hasn't been near as good this year. I just don't put most of it on him.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Fuck it. Give Philbin $750k to be the offensive coordinator and bring back KOK as the WR/QB coach even along with a young guy like McNutt that will recruit.

Bobby Diaco will need a job soon, so get rid of that fat fuck Seth Wallace or have Reese Morgan retire and hire him to coach and recruit.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Mark Stoops might be looking for a job as well.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

That very well could be but the more obvious factors stick out to me in that his receivers being absolute garbage. This shitty offense seems like it needs a TON of reps and trust of what you're receivers are going to do. He obviously trusted Vandy before he got hurt. He had out with Smith last year and Krieger Coble, who by the way, is a fuckton better than Kittle.
Either way, I hope that Ferentz wakes the fuck up and makes some changes. Greg Davis and his shit system have to go.
Lol. Cmon, man

douglasbader

Reaction score
Lol. Cmon, man
Hey, we said the same thing in 2011 and he made a bunch of changes. They were shitty changes, but he cleaned house.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
CJ entered the season as a top 3 Big 10 QB but right now is in the bottom half. A combination of factors have lead to this:

-Greg Davis
-10 different OL lineups
-CJ is clearly hobbled by his knee
-Lost his best WR in what was already a terrible WR group

CJ looked as good as ever during the Iowa State game and then some of these four factors started to kick in.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

douglasbader

Reaction score
Don't forget that Greg Davis is 65 years old, so not beyond the realm of possibility to see him retire.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

That very well could be but the more obvious factors stick out to me in that his receivers being absolute garbage. This shitty offense seems like it needs a TON of reps and trust of what your receivers are going to do. He obviously trusted Vandy before he got hurt. He had it with Smith last year and Krieger Coble, who by the way, is a fuckton better than Kittle.
Going from having two safety nets and a deep threat to none of the above will get in your head when the play calling and pass protection are already subpar. Vandy and Krieger Koble never got any separation but CJ could at least trust they were going to be in a certain spot so he could use his great accuracy. I just don't see any quarterback succeeding in this system with this personnel. I think it's pretty evident he doesn't trust some of the guys running routes so that causes some indecision and bad throws on his part.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Had a great time at Illinois. Their fans were fun and tailgating wasn't bad. Illinois is terrible and I'm drunk. It was fun.
/csb

douglasbader

Reaction score

Going from having two safety nets and a deep threat to none of the above will get in your head when the play calling and pass protection are already subpar. Vandy and Krieger Koble never got any separation but CJ could at least trust they were going to be in a certain spot so he could use his great accuracy. I just don't see any quarterback succeeding in this system with this personnel. I think it's pretty evident he doesn't trust some of the guys running routes so that causes some indecision and bad throws on his part.
I think it is his knee. He fucked it up right before the season to the point that there was concern he would be out a while and had to wear a huge brace all season.

He also got soft over the summer.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Fuck it. Give Philbin $750k to be the offensive coordinator and bring back KOK as the WR/QB coach even along with a young guy like McNutt that will recruit.

Bobby Diaco will need a job soon, so get rid of that fat fuck Seth Wallace or have Reese Morgan retire and hire him to coach and recruit.
None of those things will happen