Reaction score
Defensive efficiency ranks nationally:
2011- 58
2012-206
2013- 25
2014- 77
2015- 33
2016- 30
odd, the links I provided had different #s. Do you have a link?
http://kenpom.com/history.php?c=Fran+McCaffery

Subscription required. Not sure what methodology teamrankings.com uses that makes the end result different but KenPom.com is pretty much the go-to for CBB by broadcasters, coaches, writers, etc.
I don't think TeamRankings adjusts for SOS

Reaction score

Subscription required. Not sure what methodology teamrankings.com uses that makes the end result different but KenPom.com is pretty much the go-to for CBB by broadcasters, coaches, writers, etc.
maybe my memory is jaded by the late season collapses the last couple years and hearing Fran saying they couldn't get stops down the stretch.
They've definitely had stretches where the defense falls apart. Last year was more the offense though. The only really bbad games were Indiana (x2), at PSU inexplicably and Villanova. The offense was a bigger culprit in the losses late.

'15, White's senior year, they were pretty good in the non-conference, horrible early in the Big Ten, then really good the last month or so until Gonzaga.

2014, Marble's senior year, they completely collapsed defensively in the last month which led to the meltdown.

2013, May's senior year, they were really good all year. They only had a couple horrible games all year at Va. Tech and Michigan. If that wasn't one of the worst 3P shooting teams in the country (or didn't get fucked against MSU), Fran would've had 4 straight NCAA's which has hardly ever happened here.

Reaction score
Ellingson is now 16-25 from 3 (64%), 11-18 from 2 (61%) and 14-14 from the line.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Ellingson is now 16-25 from 3 (64%), 11-18 from 2 (61%) and 14-14 from the line.
He is on fire, but like we pointed out last week 90% of that has come in garbage games or garbage time. It will be nice to see if he can do it when it matters the next few games.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

maybe my memory is jaded by the late season collapses the last couple years and hearing Fran saying they couldn't get stops down the stretch.
I think it all comes down to strength of schedule.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
The three point defense was putrid.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
The three point defense was putrid.
Has been all year. I said this countless times the past 4 games that if they give the same open looks to a good shooting team, it's going to be a long fucking night. And tonight was a long night.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
they looked better defensively mainly because isu and uni suck. rotations still slow, most of these guys can't stay in front of their man, and are out of position a lot. Olé.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Too much gambling and too many times where two guys are guarding one....and not all that well.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Too much gambling and too many times where two guys are guarding one....and not all that well.
I hate zone but obviously see the need and advantages. Fran was trying to double the post every time it went inside, which was good. Two guys guarding the fucking ball at the top of the key? Uh. wtf. Knock that shit off.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Game was slightly worse than I expected it was going to be but it was still bad. Some people were holding out hope that Cook was going to come in and play better defense because he's been watching the improvement from the bench. That obviously wasn't the case. I felt when he got after it a couple times he was able to affect the entry passed and be disruptive but generally, if you get him moving/trying to rotate he's still completely lost. Saying that, the fact that he was puking all day yesterday definitely didn't help his cause.

Pemsl has to stay on the floor. He's a legit threat in the post already. I love his game and the nastiness he plays with. Just needs to know how to harness it a little.

They'll beat Michigan on Sunday.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
I hate zone but obviously see the need and advantages. Fran was trying to double the post every time it went inside, which was good. Two guys guarding the fucking ball at the top of the key? Uh. wtf. Knock that shit off.
bohannon is pretty bad right now recognizing how to play at the top of the zone. He's the one generally to blame for that shit.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Wagner needs to come to his senses and join the football team

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
bohannon is pretty bad right now recognizing how to play at the top of the zone. He's the one generally to blame for that shit.
There was a possession where Purdue passed the ball to Smotherman at the top and for some reason bohannon went to guard him leaving I believe Mathias wide open for a 3 which he of course hit. That's one of those where you point to the scouting report and and let bohannon know you want the ball in Smothermans hand there.

Also the corners get sucked up way too far on the back end too. Purdue passed up some wide open looks in the game to try to throw it inside.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
bohannon, ellingson and Baer should never be on the court at the same time

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
There was a possession where Purdue passed the ball to Smotherman at the top and for some reason bohannon went to guard him leaving I believe Mathias wide open for a 3 which he of course hit. That's one of those where you point to the scouting report and and let bohannon know you want the ball in Smothermans hand there.

Also the corners get sucked up way too far on the back end too. Purdue passed up some wide open looks in the game to try to throw it inside.
The gambling causes us to frequently be in scramble mode which leaves people wide open all over the court. It's fucking frustrating to watch.

Reaction score
Uhl is a complete disaster at this point. The definition of a dumpster fire. If anything, they need to green light him to take open shots because he is worthless if not doing that. Can't drive or play defense.
Agreed. He has decent handles, but they sag off him so much that he can't get anywhere. He is a terrible finisher if there is any resistance also. Let him shoot, and hope he gets some confidence back, or this could be a lost season.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score

Your memory is jaded? Nowai.gif!!

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

Your memory is jaded? Nowai.gif!!
You seemed bitter as of late

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
It's too bad Williams is so terrible because it would be easier to give Ellingson more minutes if we didn't have to play bohannon so much. It's tough to hide two guards on defense. I have to say that 3 in transition was pretty impressive down 20+ or not.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I thought Williams actually had some moments last night. He took the ball to the hole aggressively a couple of times and couldn't finish but it looks like he's gaining confidence

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
they looked better defensively mainly because isu and uni suck. rotations still slow, most of these guys can't stay in front of their man, and are out of position a lot. Olé.
The rotations often look like a high school team. Pause for 2 seconds then react. On defense right now, the game is moving to fast. Hopefully that a combo of coaching + experience and it will become smoother; however, not sure all of the personnel is being put in the posessions they need to in order to have success at this level. That's on the coaches to figure out what the right combos are and to mix and match appropriately.

Last edited:

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Uhl is a complete disaster at this point. The definition of a dumpster fire. If anything, they need to green light him to take open shots because he is worthless if not doing that. Can't drive or play defense.
Agreed. He has decent handles, but they sag off him so much that he can't get anywhere. He is a terrible finisher if there is any resistance also. Let him shoot, and hope he gets some confidence back, or this could be a lost season.
I always get a kick out of the Uhl and Wagner head fake from 3pt or just inside 3pt. Nobody is going to bite on it. You don't shoot it. Even if you did shoot it, you're not going to make it. Someone needs to coach them up on that.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
The rotations often look like a high school team. Pause for 2 seconds then react. On defense right now, the game is moving to fast. Hopefully that a combo of coaching + experience and it will become smoother; however, not sure all of the personnel is being put in the posessions they need to in order to have success at this level. That's on the coaches to figure out what the right combos are and to mix and match appropriately.
wait 2 seconds, and then go to the spot where you should have been 2 seconds ago. the only guy who knows where to be and when to be there is jok -- which is a terrifying clause to write, really.

they should be a lot better in a year, but this one is going to be rough.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
I thought Williams actually had some moments last night. He took the ball to the hole aggressively a couple of times and couldn't finish but it looks like he's gaining confidence
I haven't gotten a bj from @The Dad in weeks so I'm a little stressed.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score