**2015 Hawkeye Basketball Offseason Thread**

Discussion in 'Hawkeye Basketball' started by Creed, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Creed

Creed Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +1,460 / -25
    Got to keep the program moving forward. Big questions linger regarding who backs up woody and who fills whites void. I think with increased numbers and new faces we can get similar numbers but the 5 worries me most.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hawkstrat

Hawkstrat Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +7,694 / -178
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. RecreationalGynecologist

RecreationalGynecologist Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +3,248 / -1,206
    Might have to run it more next year. Looking forward to Uthoff's continued development. Hopefully the new kids coming in can push the others to improve a bit.

4. Herky823

Herky823 Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +10,451 / -215
    Looking forward to watching uthoff and mikey impressed me at the end of year. If woody can do anything it could be a decent year. How does the schedule compare to this year?

5. CamelTones

CamelTones Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +3,862 / -143
    Just like this year, it's going to take them some time to learn how to play without White.

6. HiawathaHawk

HiawathaHawk Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +3,776 / -137
    Too soon.

7. douglasbader

douglasbader Was Right at the Time

Ratings:
    +23,291 / -3,094
    I didn't have a ton of expectations this year and I have even less next year.

They are going to pretty much have to play 2 completely different ways. The starters next year (Gesell, Jok, Uthoff, Uhl, Woodbury) will be pretty similar to how they played this year, but the second that Woodbury comes out they are going to be a team that sprints up and down the court. They will have to press and be very disruptive.

I think Jok will take another leap forward and Uthoff with be a 1st Team All Big Ten, but they have to learn how to get to the line. That is the biggest thing Iowa will miss from White. He killed other teams, especially lesser teams by not settling for jump shots and getting fouled. Have to find a way to replace that.

Need a scorer with the second team or it is going to be ugly when they come in. Either Uthoff or Jok will need to be on the floor at all times next year.

I was never worried about replacing Gatens or Marble, but very worried about replacing White and Olaseni. Iowa loses their height, length and free throw shooting that were a huge advantage.

• Like Like x 3
  8. AZmess

AZmess Loved and Defended Lickliter Until the Bitter End

Ratings:
    +8,071 / -2,379
    Next year might be a tad step back just because they're replacing so much. I like the nucleus of players coming in though.

• Like Like x 2
  9. douglasbader

Ratings:
    +23,291 / -3,094
    I think they will be fighting on the bubble again. They better not take too much of a step back, because if they don't get some high level big men this Spring/Summer for 2016, they are going to take a step way back.

Shit, even if they do get them I think they take a big step back in 2016-2017. Jok will be a Senior and Uhl will be a Junior and everyone else will be as Soph/Freshman as of now unless Fran loads up on JUCO guys.

Fran has a lot of work ahead of him the next couple years in recruiting.

10. douglasbader

Ratings:
    +23,291 / -3,094
    The other sort of scary situation is there isn't any potential Aaron White or Gabe Olaseni coming in that is an athletic under the radar guy that can work his way into an All-Big Ten sort of impact player at the F/C position. Big guys need time to develop and it would have been nice to have at least 1 for next year.

Hutton is pretty much going to be Kenyon Murray at best, but most likely not much more than a known commodity defensive stopper that can't really shoot at a high level. Wagner is a 4 year garbage man who I doubt will be stretching the court. Flemming is hopefully what we thought Oglesby might be, but he is likely near or at the ceiling already. It isn't like he is going to be breaking guys down off the dribble. Those 3 guys are likely role players.

Moss and Williams are key. Need at least one of them to hit big time. I think both have a chance if they can get minutes, but especially Moss. He could be an NBA prospect his Sophomore year if things go right.

11. HiawathaHawk

HiawathaHawk Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +3,776 / -137
    Right. I love the '15 class but have no idea how next year will go. If the seniors take the Fran senior step we can be top half and easily in the tournament again.
    Regardless I really like this class.

12. wondergrape

wondergrape Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +2,379 / -302
    Seniors in the mold of Jarrod Uthoff seem to rarely miss the tournament. I'm going to hang my hat on that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Berzerkenpas

Berzerkenpas Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +416 / -32
    three seniors who were top 100 recruits, plus an improved clemmons

continued strides by jok and uhl

10-8 Big Ten, NCAA first round

14. FrodoTBaggin

FrodoTBaggin Balding

Ratings:
    +27,014 / -633
    I really liked the way Mike played coming down the stretch. Thought he made some huge strides. The bonehead plays will always be there but I think he has a really solid senior year. What Gabe and Woody gave us at the 5 spot this year will be what Clemmons and Mike give us at PG next year. Together they'll be very solid. They even played better down the stretch with Clemmons running the 2 like they started the season.

I think Jok will make a huge jump and Uthoff will be all-everything. Woody needs to not play retarded. I have my doubts.

I like our team for next year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stu Beagle

Stu Beagle Has Tiny Onions

Ratings:
    +1,687 / -206
    I think we need at least one freshmen to come in next year and be a big factor. I just don't see Jok ever being much more than shooter. I can't defend Woody anymore. Great presence on defense but he is never going to be the scorer we hoped he might be. Clemmons has showed flashes lately and if him and Uhl, assuming he sticks around, continue to improve we might be alright. But losing White and Gabe is huge and much harder to replace than it was this year with Marble.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CamelTones

CamelTones Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +3,862 / -143
    Earlier in the year Uhl was a very good rebounder then seemed to hit the freshman wall. Needs to add a little bulk, but you can see the potential is there for him to be a very good player.

17. Slidewilly

Slidewilly Independent centrist moderate

Ratings:
    +601 / -189
    The good news is that (hopefully) the 2016 kids will sign in November, probably before we've played a game and certainly before our season has been defined. We now have consecutive NCAA appearances and an NCAA victory to sell. Upward trajectory. It's critical that we sell that successfully to some very good 2016 prospects over the next few months.

18. Slidewilly

Ratings:
    +601 / -189
    The best news we could get is the staff somehow pulling in a big who's ready to contribute for '15-'16. I like Dale Jones but I don't think he meets our greatest need. I don't think it's likely this will happen, but you never know. The 5th year guys haven't started popping up yet and they could still have a target at the juco or even HS level we don't know about.

19. Shpadoinkle

Shpadoinkle Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +1,885 / -40
    Going to be a huge challenge for Fran to keep the trajectory of the program trending upwards (duh, considering the next step is sweet sixteen or beyond, top 4 finish in the I am a giant douche or a tourney title).

I'm excited to see how the new faces fit in and how quickly the team forms an identity.

I feel like the team is going to have to play better defense and make games uglier to contend next year.

20. Stu Beagle

Stu Beagle Has Tiny Onions

Ratings:
    +1,687 / -206
    I'm really excited for some Prime time games this year

• Like Like x 1
  21. douglasbader

Ratings:
    +23,291 / -3,094
    The dream scenario is he gets Tyler Cook and Nic Ravosekicick or however the fuck you spell it. I think that is going to be a tough task as those guys will likely blow up even more after the spring and summer AAU evaluation periods.

Recruiting kids is a mother fucker. I'm going to guess that Fran knows how much he needs impact big men in 2016 and is going to follow those guys around for the next 6 months.

22. valp0

valp0 .

Ratings:
    +15,390 / -1,416
    Five more 6-4 wings it is.

• Like Like x 7
  23. YugoslavianMountainHound

YugoslavianMountainHound Silver spoon

Ratings:
    +10,224 / -513
    A healthy Gesell would be nice.

Would like to see Uthoff become an alpha dog.

Jok take another step and be #2 scorer.

Would like one of the incoming freshman to be a surprise 25 mpg stud.

24. PipeDaddy

PipeDaddy Nanny State Leach Enabler Administrator

Ratings:
    +3,602 / -298
    That dunk last night gives me hope for the Uthoff alpha dog scenario. His confidence level is just so much better than a year ago. I think it will happen. 1st Team All Big Ten is a very real possibility.

• Like Like x 1
  25. FrodoTBaggin

FrodoTBaggin Balding

Ratings:
    +27,014 / -633
    I'll be very surprised if he's not first team all big ten.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Revolver

Revolver Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams

Ratings:
    +10,304 / -1,866
    That video of Isaiah Moss really REALLY has me going. That guy is going to be a tremendous Hawkeye.

27. Slidewilly

Ratings:
    +601 / -189
    I have no idea which of the five incoming freshmen is going to step up and grab significant minutes, but the good thing is it could be any of them and it could be more than one of them. With the possible exception of Williams, every one of them is more physically ready to play at this level than we've been used to seeing at Iowa for the last several years. Fleming, Moss, Wagner and Hutton have all played against top notch competition on a regular basis in both high school and AAU. Williams has as well, though perhaps not as much in HS as AAU. They all seem to be highly motivated and to some extent all of them seem to be alpha dogs, particularly Fleming. Moss is intriguing because until late in his junior season he was something of an afterthought as a HS player, and this season he still seemed to defer somewhat to guys like Morrow, DJ Williams and the very talented lead guards on the Simeon roster, although he's now about as physically capable as any of them. Someone probably does need to redshirt out of that group and Williams seems most likely, but with so many options and so much athletic ability, at least one of them is probably going to be surprisingly good as a true freshman.

Fran's last team at Siena, which is the only one I really had a chance to see, was full of athletes and interchangeable parts. From what I recall that team had guards who were very good at ballhandling and getting to the hoop. We may still be a little short of that next season, but there are guys in this group who are capable to getting to the basket on their own. Should be a lot of fun watching them develop.

28. douglasbader

Ratings:
    +23,291 / -3,094
    You are going to see 9 guys (not going to say 10 because that guy will get about 5 minutes) that play on a consistent basis. There will be 3-4 guys who are the odd men out. Simple math that a 40 minute game dictates.

Gesell, Jok, Uthoff, Woodbury, Clemmons and Uhl are all locks if they are healthy and stay around, so there is 6 of 9. Barring a JUCO or 5th year big man, you can put Wagner in that group as well because of position need. There is 7 of 9.

Now you have 2 spots open for significant minutes out of Ellingson, Hutton, Moss, Fleming, Williams and the open scholarship. My guess is one is going to be a knock down shooter and the other will be a wing type to back up Uthoff.

Fran is going to have to redshirt someone (Williams most likely and wouldn't doubt if that is why Fran finally offered him) and then will have his work cut out for him from there. I would think he could almost redshirt multiple players if Ellingson is a good enough shooter that he can't keep him off the court. Felming is going to be hard to keep off the court as well if he hits shots and given he has been on a really good team with more talented players and knows how to play his role and fit in.

Going to find out quickly who is good and wants to compete for minutes. Also going to find out who wanted to be at Iowa for the long haul and not simply walk in and get immediate minutes and leave pissed off when they don't.

• Like Like x 1
  29. douglasbader

Ratings:
    +23,291 / -3,094
    I forgot to add that when someone does have to redshirt and someone gets left out of the rotation that it would be nice if they didn't get too discouraged. The following year opens things up with Gesell/Uthoff/Woodbury/Clemmons graduating. They could all be getting significant minutes as Sophomores/Redshirt Freshmen.

30. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Definitely Needs to GFH

An energy field created by all living things
    Ratings:
    +3,988 / -205
    Yikes, that's right. 2016 is an especially important year for recruiting.

31. ABeardedDragon

ABeardedDragon Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +1,851 / -43
    Uthoff's Dunk

• Like Like x 1
  32. douglasbader

Ratings:
    +23,291 / -3,094
    It really is if Fran can't find a way to land Tyler Cook or Nick Radwhatever. They need at least 2 big men and a PG. Might even need 3 big men. Hopefully some of the highly rated regional players are intrigued by being able to step in and get minutes right away in a good system.

Also, don't forget that it might be hard to get a 2016 PG when they know Fran's son will be coming in the following year as a PG. Might be why he took a chance on Williams to develop him.

33. Slidewilly

Ratings:
    +601 / -189
    This could be a dicey issue for Fran. We've already seen him be fiercely loyal--to a fault--with at least one player to whom he wasn't related (McCabe). If we don't land a very good true PG in the 2016 class, and Connor doesn't turn out to be a very good DI PG, that's a real problem for us on the court and it would have the potential to be a team chemistry issue. Even if Connor is a very good DI PG, not landing a good PG in the 2016 class could be a problem unless Williams turns out to be more than a stopgap at that position.

34. RecreationalGynecologist

Ratings:
    +3,248 / -1,206
    Does Fran's kid project as a legit PG or is he a shooter? I haven't seen him play

35. douglasbader

Ratings:
    +23,291 / -3,094
    In fairness, we have seen him be fiercely loyal with pretty much every guy in the program good and bad.

He isn't mentally retarded. I think he will know in the next year or so if Connor is going to be a high major starter or a PG. If anything, I could easily see him turn him into a wing shooter or simply give him non-starter minutes.

I'll take that risk and give him the benefit of the doubt for pulling the program out of the worst period in history.

36. wondergrape

wondergrape Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +2,379 / -302
    I wouldn't write Uhl's name in the starting lineup in ink yet. He needs to show some serious "want to" for me to give him big minutes next year.

• Like Like x 1
  37. douglasbader

Ratings:
    +23,291 / -3,094
    What? Where does that come from?

Also, who the fuck else is going to start over him at the 4 position?

38. AZmess

AZmess Loved and Defended Lickliter Until the Bitter End

Ratings:
    +8,071 / -2,379
    Lol what?

39. douglasbader

Ratings:
    +23,291 / -3,094
    No shit. If anything, Uhl almost showed too much "want to" and Fran had to find ways to calm him down when he didn't get minutes. He was competitive enough that he didn't always understand why White and Uthoff were coming in for him. The last thing he lacks is "want to".

40. RecreationalGynecologist

Ratings:
    +3,248 / -1,206
    Dale Jones

:biggrin:

41. Lefty

Lefty Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +309 / -12
    At first I was all like, "Wait...Grape is Fran???" and then I realized he is just some dude making a dumbass comment.

42. wondergrape

wondergrape Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +2,379 / -302
    I could see Wagner or Jones bumping him. Don't get me wrong, he's the prohibitive favorite, but he still needs to get his sea legs. Until that happens, I fear a scenario where he's getting 20+.

43. valp0

valp0 .

Ratings:
    +15,390 / -1,416
    If Fran can't get a PG when he has no PG, he's never going to get a PG.

• GFY GFY x 2
  44. douglasbader

Ratings:
    +23,291 / -3,094
    The only way I see that is if Fran wants him as a scorer with the second unit.

Fuck this Jones guy. He is some JUCO fuck who we have no idea if he is even going to come here or has an offer.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Lefty

Lefty Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +309 / -12
    I don't think anyone is saying he is a lock but he certainly doesn't lack "want to."

46. wondergrape

wondergrape Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +2,379 / -302
    I'm thinking about his macro level buy-in. Maybe I just got spooked about the transfer talk.

• GFY GFY x 1
  47. wondergrape

wondergrape Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +2,379 / -302
    You're right, he's eager on the court. Mea culpa.

48. Lefty

Lefty Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +309 / -12
    An offseason of some weight training and conditioning and Uhl is going to be ready to be our leading rebounder.

49. wondergrape

wondergrape Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +2,379 / -302
    I would fucking love that, don't misunderstand me.

50. Lefty

Lefty Needs to GFH

Ratings:
    +309 / -12
    Unless Fran puts Uthoff at the 4 and goes with a 3 guard lineup. The 4 plays outside enough in Fran's system that I can see him considering this and Halo would be all up in arms over it.